Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1477786
[GSS]More than 2 smbd processes on a gluster node make application performance dramatically slow down
Last modified: 2017-10-21 13:13:18 EDT
Description of problem:
1. Poor performance is related to the number of the client, not the working thread.
And the number of the client is related to the number of smbd process.
Poor performance can be reproduce every time when there are more than 2 clients.
1 node with 8 working threads, no performance issue. Number of smbd process is 1
2 node with 1 working thread for each, Poor performance was observed. Number of smbd process is 2
2. Working thread on client will receive and compress data, and then copy the data to gluster EC volume. Each thread will copy data to an independence directory,
So there will not be two or more thread working on same directory, data will copy to separately directory by working thread.
3. Gluster server is running with RHGS 3.2 + samba(gluster_vfs) + CTDB(3 VIPs) on 3 nodes.
volume is EC(4+2) on 3 nodes, with 2 bricks on each node.
Client is windows server 2012.
4. Workload is to copy 500 image files, about 200 kb for each.
5. For the working thread method of the client,
a. Receive image data and compress it.
b. Round-robin access the 3 VIPs for connection,
c. Copy the image data to an independence directory
d. (Optional) Move data to another directory when the copy is finished.
The performance of step c will drop when there are 2 or more clients.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce: