Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1478707
kdump over ssh to remote target server
Last modified: 2017-09-08 05:28:21 EDT
Description of problem:
Verify and test that configuration of kdump over ssh works correctly according to customer provided requirements.
1. Supports RHEL 6, & 7 (5 as a stretch goal but not required)
2. Set crashkernel=128M in grub.conf (need to verify this with best practices, possibly rely on current defaults or auto)
3. Set target to SSH
4. “core_collector makedumpfile -F -c -d 31”
5. Need to populate target servers ssh key into ~/.ssh/known_hosts
6. Need to populate kdump_id_rsa key into remote target server authorized_keys file (currently using ansible copy module) Could probably use the Ansible SSH authorized_key module http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/authorized_key_module.html
7. Restart kdump
Please don't assign this bug to me. As I discussed with Terry, I mentioned that I don't know how to copy ssh authorized file on a ansible server from system with kdump enabled to a dump target machine. Means, I Know there's ssh methods to copy ssh authorized file on A from A to B, but I don't know how to copy it on A from B to C. I ever asked other people, no one knows it. And I also raised this issue to Terry, he said he will ask people to hanlde it. I can tell what need to be done for this on kdump, better find a person who knows this.
Think about it a while, if customer can copy the ssh authorized public key file to dump target server, and keep the private key file on dumping machine, ansible code will be simple to add to kdump module. While this may need all dumping machine to own the same private ssh key file. It may not be good. The ssh key file copying is a problem I ever tried at the first version of kdump module.
Since kdump provides "kdumpctl propagate" to copy ssh key file to dumping target server, while it will prompt with a ssh password input while it's not seen under ansible task running, it's not available any more.
Created a bz 1489746 to ask ansible component to implement a way to provide password between two remote ansible clients for ssh key file copying.
If they can fix 1489746, or suggest a way to satisfy the requirement, this bug can be fixed easily.