1. Proposed title of this feature request
Larger and more efficient searches of Satellite database.
2. MassMutual 611481
Has TAM: yes
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Customer sees slow response and many facts returned when querying Satellite
programmatically. Customer seeks API option for specifying a limited set of
facts to query so that 1) the query returns faster, and 2) they can access
results without the 100-host cap that exists now.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Satellite API needs to be complete and performant enough to avoid the customer
developing tools to work around its limitations. In this case, the customer's
considering caching the results of hammer queries run periodically, which
should ideally not be necessary.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
API call should be available wherein user can specify items of interest,
rather than today's default wherein all facts about systems are returned.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
Customer can exercise new API call, passing in a set of facts to be queried
and measuring time to search completion and results delivery.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
Customer will be able to cease development of workarounds as soon as this
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
VAT is aware of need and will note input separately.
10. List any affected packages or components.
Satellite 6. I believe this would be Candlepin.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
I'll see if I can get a snippet of the existing code to nail down just what they're doing today.
If the customer is okay with the limited info for the GET Host API then it has `thin` as a parameter in its documentation
(/api/v2/hosts?thin=true) to list the host with limited host info viz :id and :name
you can find the documentation at https://<domain_url>/apidoc/v2/hosts/index.en.html
Based on the case status I am closing the ticket for now. If the requirement changes or aroused again feel free to re-open.