Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 148932
FC3 kernel build fails - multiple errors
Last modified: 2015-01-04 17:17:01 EST
Description of problem:
1) make mrproper fails due to no "Documentation/DocBook/Makefile"
Workaround for this problem is to manually create dummy directory and
2) make fails due to no asm-offsets.s and no asm_offsets.h or
No workaround for this problem. Without the files the build is hosed.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Happens every time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install new FC3 system from isos on a clean disk (without kernel
2. Update to latest patches using up2date
3. Install kernel source from FC3 SRPMS
4. Update to latest patches using up2date
5. su - root
6. cd /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766-FC3/source
7. cp .config config.BAK
8. make mrproper (1st problem encountered)
9. perform workaround to 1st problem
10. cp config.BAK .config
11. make menuconfig (don't change anything, just exit and save)
12. make clean
13. make bzImage (2nd problem encountered)
Actual results: No kernel build
Expected results: Kernel build
I finally located some additional documentation showing how the
kernel build mechanisms have changed in fedora. After following the
new proceedures it looks like I am able to build a kernel.
Just a suggestion: Maybe it would be a benefit if you included a
readme file in the kernel source RPMS either explaining the new
proceedures, or a link back to your web site that contains them. It
would go a long way in making things easier to do. :-)