Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 149550
xterm w/font fixed crashes on tk man pages
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:00 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
Description of problem:
With the default fixed font, xterm crashes with a BadName error upon
display of certain man pages. As far as I can see, the culprit is the
revision bar displayed on the right hand side of some pages.
As you can surely imagine, this gets to be quite a pain if you are
using xterms for your standard terminal, as is default in Xfce sessions.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.start an xterm (-fn fixed if you have defaults set otherwise)
2.enter "man n button"
3.scroll down about 8 lines
Actual Results: xterm dies with
xterm: warning, error event received:
X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request: 77 (X_ImageText16)
Serial number of failed request: 395
Current serial number in output stream: 401
Expected Results: xterm would not die ;-)
A workaround seems to be to use xterm with any other font than fixed.
In particular, xterm -fn 6x13 is indistinguishable from fixed and does
not have the problem.
Using a remote xterm running on SuSE 9.1 has the same issue. However,
it does not happen with one running on RedHat8.
Are you running these commands to a remote machine via ssh
with X11 forwarding?
If so, if you invoke ssh as "ssh -Y remotehost", does the
problem go away?
Setting status to "NEEDINFO"
Hm, the problem seems to have vanished altogether now...
It was perfectly reproducible before, and happened on the local
machine. (I've been bitten by the ssh -Y thing before, and have
"ForwardX11Trusted yes" against the relevant machine).
I can only conjecture that something like the font server had gotten
Ok, if the problem happens again, please reopen the bug.
Setting status to "WORKSFORME", as the problem has vanished,
as indicated in comment #3.
I noticed the same problem with xterm in fc6, it went away when I restarted xfs
and restarted the x server. Seemed to only affect the default "fixed" font.
When I restarted xfs, I couldn't start any xclients, so I'm not sure whether
that helped or not.