This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2017-10-23 It is expected to last about 30 minutes
Bug 150278 - fails miserably printing HELLO.utf8
fails miserably printing HELLO.utf8
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: firefox (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Christopher Aillon
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-03-04 02:37 EST by Bill Nottingham
Modified: 2014-03-16 22:52 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 1.5.0.7-8
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-10-29 16:39:10 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Bill Nottingham 2005-03-04 02:37:34 EST
Description of problem:

Mozilla doesn't seem to print Unicode using various fonts
very well.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

1.0.1-2

How reproducible:

Every time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open /usr/share/doc/pango-1.8.0/HELLO.utf8
2. print it (you can convert it to HTML first, even)
  
Actual results:

Very pretty on screen. Not so pretty on paper.

Expected results:

Looks reasonably close to the display image.

Additional info:

Print preview looks ok. Actual printout has boxes for characters
that aren't either latin-1 or Cyrillic.

gedit prints it ok.
Comment 1 John Thacker 2005-04-19 20:51:06 EDT
Oh, this is horrible!  I can't print Japanese AT ALL.  In fact, if I print to a
file, the PostScript files that mozilla generates when attempting to print a
page with Japanese won't even open in ggv.  (evince will open them, just with
the Japanese missing or with boxes.)  Print preview looks perfect.  This happens
even with pages that are EUC-JP or SHIFT-JIS.  (I can try to check to see what
happens if I set my default locale to ja_JP, though that still seemed to fail.)

Looks like it's not generating proper postscript.  If I run things like ps2pdf
on the PostScript file generated, it crashes with errors:
[jat48@thacker ~]$ ps2pdf mozilla.ps
Error: /undefinedresource in --findresource--
Operand stack:
   Ryumin-Light-EUC-H   Font   Ryumin-Light-EUC-H   (Ryumin-Light-EUC-H)   12
Ryumin-Light   EUC-H   EUC-H   --dict:0/10(G)--   Ryumin-Light   false  
Ryumin-Light   Ryumin-Light   CIDFont   --nostringval--   CMap   CIDFont   CMap
  CIDFont
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--  
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--  
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3  
%oparray_pop   1   3 %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2  
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push  
--nostringval--   --nostringval-- %loop_continue   --nostringval--  
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   1   3   %oparray_pop   2   3   %oparray_pop
  --nostringval--   --nostringval--   15   4   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--  
18   5   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--  
--nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1060/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:118/200(L)--  
--dict:17/17(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/10(L)--   --dict:16/24(ro)(G)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
Current file position is 36451
GNU Ghostscript 7.07: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
Comment 2 John Thacker 2005-04-19 21:19:08 EDT
Of course, when I said that I couldn't print Japanese at all, I meant with
firefox, mozilla, and epiphany.  Everything else works perfectly (gedit,
downloaded pdfs and postscript), as does Print Preview in firefox et al.
Comment 3 John Thacker 2005-04-19 21:28:02 EDT
Ah, I found the Japanese problem.  The fonts moved location, but the
/etc/ghoscript/CIDFnmap.ja file didn't change that

[jat48@thacker ~]$ rpm -q --changelog fonts-japanese | more
* Thu Feb 24 2005 Akira TAGOH <tagoh@redhat.com> - 0.20050222-2
- Use /usr/share/fonts/japanese instead of /usr/share/fonts/ja

[jat48@thacker ~]$ rpm -ql fonts-japanese | grep ttf
/usr/share/fonts/japanese/TrueType/kochi-gothic-subst.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/japanese/TrueType/kochi-mincho-subst.ttf

But in /etc/ghostscript/CIDFnmap.ja :
/Kochi-Mincho   (/usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-mincho-subst.ttf) ;
/Kochi-Gothic   (/usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/kochi-gothic-subst.ttf) ;

So, the Japanese problems can be fixed by editing that file.  I'll create a new bug
Comment 4 Christopher Aillon 2006-10-29 16:39:10 EST
This should be fixed in 1.5.0.7-8 and higher.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.