Bug 150339 - "Bad IPLOCALPORT value" syslog messages
Summary: "Bad IPLOCALPORT value" syslog messages
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: sendmail   
(Show other bugs)
Version: rawhide
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Thomas Woerner
QA Contact: David Lawrence
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2005-03-04 18:36 UTC by Jonathan Kamens
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-07-11 14:41:56 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Jonathan Kamens 2005-03-04 18:36:56 UTC
I just upgraded to sendmail-8.13.3-1.1.  It's logging the syslog 
message "Bad IPLOCALPORT value" several times per minute.  I don't 
know if this is relevant: I'm using my own cf file, but I did rebuild 
it from mc after the upgrade.  I've also got current versions of most 
other FC Devel packages.

Comment 1 Jonathan Kamens 2005-03-04 18:41:22 UTC
It may be relevant that I have two versions of openssl installed -- I 
installed 0.9.7e-3 on top of 0.9.7a-46, because there are some things 
that depend on the old libraries.  Perhaps this is the problem.


Comment 2 Jonathan Kamens 2005-03-08 21:57:40 UTC
The problem here, it turns, out is that the getnameinfo function 
provided in libbind in bind-9.3.1rc1-3 doesn't obey the 
NI_NUMERICSERV flag.  It's returning a port name instead of a port 
number to sendmail, and sendmail feeds this into SASL, which 
complains about it because it's expecting a port number.  Bind-9.3.0-
2 doesn't have this problem, presumably because it doesn't provide 
getnameinfo -- it relies on libc to provide it, and the version in 
libc obeys NI_NUMERICSERV.


Comment 3 Jason Vas Dias 2005-03-10 03:18:16 UTC
This problem occurs because the wrong include path has been used
to compile libbind using code. 
/usr/include/netdb.h defines:
    # define NI_NUMERICSERV 2
while 
/usr/include/bind/netdb.h defines:
    #define NI_NUMERICSERV  0x00000008

To use libbind, you must either specify 
   -I/usr/include/bind
in your compile command, or change your #include directives for
libbind headers (eg. netdb.h) to:
    #include <bind/netdb.h>

sendmail must be recompiled with these include path changes in
order to continue using libbind. 

Comment 4 Jason Vas Dias 2005-03-10 23:53:20 UTC
This bug is now fixed with sendmail-8.13.3-1.2, to be released in 
FC4/Rawhide shortly.

Comment 5 Alexandre Oliva 2005-03-17 10:11:45 UTC
Unfortunately, this change causes sendmail 8.13.3-1.2 to crash on start-up for
me on x86_64, running something as simple as:

sendmail oliva@lsd.ic.unicamp.br

It works fine on an i686 box.  Reverting to 8.13.3-1.1 restores a functional
sendmail.

Comment 6 Thomas Woerner 2005-03-17 15:16:12 UTC
Fixed in RPM sendmail-8.13.3-2. This version is using libresolv from glibc again
instead of the libbind. 
Support for libbind was dropped, but option NAMED_BIND is still active for
DNSMAPs using libresolv.

Please test this new version.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.