From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
Description of problem:
This is a memory leak in X11. I report it here, because the bug report thread indicates that it only happens with certain cursor themes installed. I'm not sure how to verify whether this bug goes away if the bluecurve cursors are disabled and X11 is run with its native cursors, but that would be a good test.
The other (earlier) bug thread is at:
This contains more helpful information.
I'll upload one of my test scripts which shows X11 leak in a way that does seems to yield irretrievably allocated memory.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Start with a fresh launch of X11
2.Run the included script
3.Press the Reload button once (or hold for multiple presses)
4.Watch the X server grow
5.Terminate the script
Actual Results: The X server process continues to grow with each press of the Reload button. It never shrinks--even after the application exits.
Expected Results: There is no reason X should grow at all since all we are doing is setting a cursor. In any event, the system should reclaim memory after the application exits.
I'll also post an extremely simple script (membug2) which also shows the problem. With this example, run "membug 500" to see X grow and stay large. Then run "membug 10" to see it shrink back down again. In any case, X should not grow at all simply by resizing the cursor.
This causes certain of my workstations to reliably crash after several days of service. I have a limited number of times the user can see his cursor change before his system blows up.
Created attachment 111841 [details]
Created attachment 111842 [details]
Another test case
OK, I can verify that if the Xcursor extension is not used, this memory leak
goes away. I did:
mv index.theme index.theme.save
My cursors revert to native X11, and none of the demo programs produce leaking X
server anymore. I've tried a number of different cursor themes (about 5) and
they all seem to leak just the same as BlueCurve. Disabling the extension seems
to be the only workaround.
Reassigning to xorg
Please report this problem via the X.org bugzilla located at:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org - in the "xorg" component
Once you have filed your bug report in X.org bugzilla, please paste the
URL here and we will track this issue in the X.Org bugzilla, and review
any fixes that become available for consideration in future Fedora Core
Setting status to "NEEDINFO", awaiting upstream bug URL for tracking.
2 months have elapsed since the last feedback from this issue, and there
has not been any feedback to my request in comment #5 to report the issue
to X.Org, so I assume the problem is either not a bug in X.Org supplied
software, or that the issue is resolved in the current updates released
for Fedora Core 3.
If this problem still exists however, follow the instructions in comment
#5 above, and we will track the issue in X.Org bugzilla as indicated.
Setting status to "RAWHIDE"
Posted to freedesktop.org as:
Thanks for the URL. Changing status to "UPSTREAM" for tracking.