Bug 150762 - Strange behaviour in exporting symbols
Strange behaviour in exporting symbols
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: db4 (Show other bugs)
rawhide
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Paul Nasrat
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-03-10 06:23 EST by Oliver Falk
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-08-10 16:56:38 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Oliver Falk 2005-03-10 06:23:03 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041228 Firefox/1.0 Fedora/1.0-8

Description of problem:
Maybe you can describe me why I see this:

[root@fc3 lib]# rpm -q db4; nm libdb-4.2.so | wc -l
db4-4.2.52-6
nm: libdb-4.2.so: no symbols
0

[oliver@pils lib]$ rpm -q db4; nm libdb-4.3.so|wc -l
db4-4.3.27-2
239

[oliver@core lib]$ rpm -q db4; nm libdb-4.0.so|wc -l
db4-4.0.14-14
   2170

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
db4-4.2.52-6, db4-4.3.27-2, db4-4.0.14-14

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install FC3
2. Install RH8
3. Install FC Devel

Actual Results:  fc3 is a fresh setup Fedora Core 3.
pils is a machine running Fedora Core Development.
core is an old machine still running RH 8.

Expected Results:  db4 should always export symbols? And of course about the same number of symbols!?

Additional info:

The main problem that I discovered within db4 is, that I tried to recompile sendmail on pils and it spotted the error about undefined symbol `db_version`. Using nm, I was not able to find it on my FC3Devel machine. Using nm on core (the RH8 machine) I was able and on my newly setup FC3 machine there are not even symbols. Why is this? Is it gcc playing around with the symbols? Is it glibc that has bugs!?

I believe, that db-4.3.27-2 compiled with gcc4 (see also the rpm changelog) is buggy and should be recompiled (Tried that on pils, rpm2cpio'ed the file and made an nm: 'no symbols'). I have not yet tried to compile sendmail with this new libdb...

I'm also not sure, if the behaviour of not exporting any symbols (within FC3) is the correct behaviour, but some reason sendmail compiles correctly no this machine - which does mean for me, that the symbol `db_version` is found even if nm /usr/lib/libdb-4.2.so tells me 'no symbols'.
Comment 1 Jeff Johnson 2005-03-10 07:13:00 EST
This is probably due to using gcc-4.0 to compile.
Comment 2 Oliver Falk 2005-03-10 07:22:33 EST
Jeff, this is what I wrote in my 'Additional Info':

> I believe, that db-4.3.27-2 compiled with gcc4 (see also the rpm 
> changelog) is buggy and should be recompiled (Tried that on pils,
> rpm2cpio'ed the file and made an nm: 'no symbols').

Yes, I do also believe that it's because of using gcc4.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.