Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 151877
Installer bails out - partial directory structure left
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:02 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041020
Description of problem:
After attempting an install via the default GUI, a text install, then later another install attempt on the same computer, anaconda and other processes seem to bailout.
I installed the latest version and was left with a directory structure that was small enough to gzip and submit. Using the same install discs, I was able to upgrade an installation, but already had most of the upgrades already applied.
Anyway, this bailout left me with screen 2 and a shell, the GUI was pretty much static and the mouse was movable until I changed to a terminal, when I returned to the GUI n screen 7, it was pretty much residue.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Attempt a new installation
2. Get past the package selection
3.get past where packages are starting to be installed
4. Notice the installer does not seem to be progressing
check screen 2 for top, dmesg, ps -A
Actual Results: I was able to see the /mnt/source, /mnt/runtime and other directories being present. I could perform copying coles from the cdrom to the harddrive. Occasionally, I would see ls report a segmentation fault.
Expected Results: The installer should have kept on going with the installation. The progress only seemed to be two or three programs installed. The ogs and filestructure in the gzip should reveal more information.
/mnt/sda5 is the / directory in the zip. I mounted the boot and home partitions as they were meant to be post-installation. In the home directory is the redhat-stage2.img
The zip was too big and bugzilla rightfully did not accept the attachment.
Anyway, it appears that the image in the to be home directory during install
made the zip too big.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 147284 ***
This bug will be commented further in bug 147284. The failure seemed to be
caused either by bad RAM or by not enough RAM available. I replaced 233MHz/256
MB RAM module with a newly purchased 333 MHz/512MB RAM module and was able to
complete the installation.