Bug 152627 - sata_sil missing PCI IDs for ATI SATA controller
sata_sil missing PCI IDs for ATI SATA controller
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: John W. Linville
Brian Brock
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-03-30 15:49 EST by wingc
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:07 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-05-18 09:29:24 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description wingc 2005-03-30 15:49:14 EST
Description of problem:

The sata_sil driver in RHEL 3 U4 is missing the PCI IDs to work on an ATI SATA
controller (seen on an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 based motherboard)

The PCI IDs were added to the upstream libata driver in 2.6 in January 2005.
Here is the relevant patch:

http://linus.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@41e4b5df5jSP3VOlsSO6pnMqEBX79A



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

The current RHEL3 update kernel (2.4.21-27.0.2.EL) has an older version of
libata which is missing these PCI IDs.

How reproducible:

always

Steps to Reproduce:

1. try to install RHEL3 on a machine with ATI SATA controller
  
Actual results:

disk controller is not detected

Expected results:

The SATA controller on my motherboard works properly when these PCI IDs are
added to drivers/scsi/sata_sil.c and you rebuild the module. I confirmed this by
building my own driver update disk and doing a RHEL3 install. Everything worked
properly.



Additional info:

Please add these PCI IDs to future RHEL3 kernels, and update the RHEL3 boot
image (the 'pcitable' file) so that the install disc detects the hardware
properly and loads the sata_sil driver.

I assume if you merge in the latest libata code in the next RHEL3 kernel that
this issue will take care of itself. (assuming you also update the boot disc so
that the installer recognizes the PCI IDs)

The PCI IDs in question are: (in 'pcitable' format)

0x1002  0x436e  "sata_sil"      "ATI|IXP300 SATA"
0x1002  0x4379  "sata_sil"      "ATI|IXP400 SATA"


Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu
Comment 1 Ernie Petrides 2005-03-30 22:43:11 EST
A fix for this problem was committed to the RHEL3 U5 patch
pool on 14-Feb-2005 (in kernel version 2.4.21-27.13.EL).

Feel free to verify this with the latest U5 beta kernel
(2.4.21-31.EL) from the RHN beta channel.
Comment 2 wingc 2005-03-31 11:05:37 EST
Confirmed that this works properly with the latest U5 beta kernel (2.4.21-31.EL).
I also checked the latest boot.iso and confirmed that the installer recognizes
the PCI IDs and loads the sata_sil driver.

Sorry, I didn't know that you could actually try out the beta code in the RHN
channel.

Thanks!

-wingc@engin.umich.edu
Comment 3 Ernie Petrides 2005-03-31 23:16:31 EST
Thanks for the verification.  I'm reverting the state of this bug
to MODIFIED until U5 is officially released, at which point the
Errata System will automatically close this bug.
Comment 4 Tim Powers 2005-05-18 09:29:24 EDT
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-294.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.