Bug 1542721 - Please provide a package for EPEL7
Summary: Please provide a package for EPEL7
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon
Version: rawhide
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Ralf Corsepius
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2018-02-06 21:59 UTC by Robert-André Mauchin
Modified: 2018-03-13 17:06 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

Fixed In Version: perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-1.00-14.el7
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2018-03-13 17:06:30 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-06 21:59:09 UTC
Hello,

I am packaging a new program called Ravada and I've been asked to make it available for EPEL7. It depends on perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon so could you please build it for EPEL7?

All the dependencies are available but perl(Text::Haml) which you also own.

The SPEC from master requires minor changes: namely removing the NO_PACKLIST option which is only available from perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) >= 6.76 and instead remove the packlist manually.

Comment 1 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-07 05:18:21 UTC
To cut a long story short: I do not use nor support EPEL, because I consider packager in EPEL to be unmaintainable.

Comment 2 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-07 10:05:24 UTC
Would you consider adding me as a co-maintainer so I can mairtain EPEL7 version for perl(Text::Haml) and perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon? My FAS is eclipseo.

Comment 3 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-07 16:42:49 UTC
(In reply to Robert-André Mauchin from comment #2)
> Would you consider adding me as a co-maintainer so I can mairtain EPEL7
> version for perl(Text::Haml) and perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon? My FAS is
> eclipseo.
I don't know you and have never heard about you before.

That said, feel free to take the EPEL branch, but I am not interested in having you as co-maintainer for Fedora.

Comment 4 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-07 16:51:52 UTC
Yes only for EPEL of course. I need you to give me the permissions if you accept.

Comment 5 Emmanuel Seyman 2018-02-11 09:03:05 UTC
(In reply to Ralf Corsepius from comment #3)
>
> I don't know you and have never heard about you before.

If it makes you feel better, I'll be happy to co-maintain the EPEL branch with Robert-André. 

> That said, feel free to take the EPEL branch, but I am not interested in
> having you as co-maintainer for Fedora.

Per-branch ACLs no longer exist.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/WhatHappenedToPkgdb#How_do_I_give_a_user_commit_access_to_a_dist-git_repo.3F

Comment 6 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-11 16:55:11 UTC
(In reply to Emmanuel Seyman from comment #5)
> (In reply to Ralf Corsepius from comment #3)
> >
> > I don't know you and have never heard about you before.
> 
> If it makes you feel better, I'll be happy to co-maintain the EPEL branch
> with Robert-André. 

That's not my point. My actual point is I do not want Fedora to be furtherly run 
down by noobs. Something which I feel is self-explanatory in case people requesting EPEL packages: They are unmaintainable, by definition.

> > That said, feel free to take the EPEL branch, but I am not interested in
> > having you as co-maintainer for Fedora.
> 
> Per-branch ACLs no longer exist.
Read what I wrote above - Incompetent noobs everywhere in Fedora.

Comment 7 Nick Bebout 2018-02-12 14:55:37 UTC
Ralf, please read https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html.en  I don't believe your conduct is in accordance with the Fedora Code of Conduct.  We want to encourage new contributors.

Comment 8 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-12 15:15:42 UTC
I understand you believe EPEL is unmaintainable and to a certain extent I agree, but we're talking about two simple Perl packages, it's not exactly rocket science to keep them in good shape, there is no dependency nightmare to take care off unlike other packages.

I may be relatively new to Fedora but I've reviewed over 1,000 packages these past six months, and with eseyman help, there's not much risk.

Please reconsider you position, there's nothing to be afraid of for your Fedora branches since we'll only touch EPEL7, add eseyman and eclipseo commit access in Pagure.

Comment 9 Matthew Miller 2018-02-12 16:19:34 UTC
I agree -- Ralf, this is by no means an acceptable way to act towards new people in Fedora, and your comments about "noobs" are way off base. Robert-André is a member of the packaging group in good standing. Please add him as a committer so that he can work on the EPEL packages. A sincere apology is also in order.

Comment 10 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-12 18:09:30 UTC
(In reply to Matthew Miller from comment #9)
> I agree -- Ralf, this is by no means an acceptable way to act towards new
> people in Fedora, and your comments about "noobs" are way off base.
Matthew, please note that I did not accuse Robert-André in person.

I was talking about a general tendency in Fedora, I consider not to be helpful.

To me, Robert-André is a complete unknown, I've never heard of before who popped out of blue sky, despite I am monitoring almost everything esp. related to perl-packaging in Fedora, ever since Fedora exists.

That said, Robert-André, please take my appologies, I did not mean to offend you by any means.

> Robert-André is a member of the packaging group in good standing. Please add
> him as a committer so that he can work on the EPEL packages.
No idea, how to do this.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon/
leaves me completely clueless.

Comment 11 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-12 18:48:32 UTC
(In reply to Ralf Corsepius from comment #10)
> (In reply to Matthew Miller from comment #9)
> > I agree -- Ralf, this is by no means an acceptable way to act towards new
> > people in Fedora, and your comments about "noobs" are way off base.
> Matthew, please note that I did not accuse Robert-André in person.
> 
> I was talking about a general tendency in Fedora, I consider not to be
> helpful.
> 
> To me, Robert-André is a complete unknown, I've never heard of before who
> popped out of blue sky, despite I am monitoring almost everything esp.
> related to perl-packaging in Fedora, ever since Fedora exists.
> 
> That said, Robert-André, please take my appologies, I did not mean to offend
> you by any means.
> 
I understand you were talking in general.

> > Robert-André is a member of the packaging group in good standing. Please add
> > him as a committer so that he can work on the EPEL packages.
> No idea, how to do this.
> 
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon/
> leaves me completely clueless.

It's In Settings, then scroll down to Users and Group:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-Text-Haml/settings

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon/settings

For both packages, Add user "eseyman" Permissions "Commit" and Add user "eclipseo" Permissions "Commit"

Thanks.

Comment 12 Matthew Miller 2018-02-12 18:53:25 UTC
This probably is not the proper forum for hashing out whatever "general tendency" you're talking about, but no matter what that is, it's important for all Fedora contributors to be welcoming to new users — and people in leadership positions in Fedora packaging need to hold themselves to the highest standard in that regard.

The problem with "My actual point is I do not want Fedora to be furtherly run down by noobs." is not that someone might be offended, but that it is discouraging to new people in  Fedora. Especially in conjunction with refusing a request, that gives the distinct impression that Fedora does not welcome new contributors.

Fedora is a big project and it's incredibly likely that there will be people we don't recognize. It's best to assume good intentions.


On the technical side:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/WhatHappenedToPkgdb#How_do_I_give_a_user_commit_access_to_a_dist-git_repo.3F

Comment 13 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-13 12:07:02 UTC
(In reply to Matthew Miller from comment #12)
> This probably is not the proper forum for hashing out whatever "general
> tendency" you're talking about,
Agreed, this is not the appropriate forum.

> but no matter what that is, it's important
> for all Fedora contributors to be welcoming to new users — and people in
> leadership positions in Fedora packaging need to hold themselves to the
> highest standard in that regard.
That's a point, I do not agree with and have never agreed with. Fedora should be selective about the technical skills of its contributors and accept not "everybody".

> The problem with "My actual point is I do not want Fedora to be furtherly
> run down by noobs." is not that someone might be offended, but that it is
> discouraging to new people in  Fedora. Especially in conjunction with
> refusing a request, that gives the distinct impression that Fedora does not
> welcome new contributors.
> 
> Fedora is a big project and it's incredibly likely that there will be people
> we don't recognize. It's best to assume good intentions.
Put yourself into my position: A person, which has been completely unknown to me dropped out of the blue and requested an EPEL7 branch. Something many people have done before. Many of them "hit the wall", when they realized that this is not a easy task. Actually, this is the reason why EPEL - esp. wrt. perl modules - is far behind Fedora (with all consequences: insecure, broken, outdated)

Another problem related to this: Unlike pkgdb, pagure lacks the concept of per-branch maintainers. This means to grant the person full access of the package.

> On the technical side:
> 
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/
> WhatHappenedToPkgdb#How_do_I_give_a_user_commit_access_to_a_dist-git_repo.3F
Sigh. This is a parent page of what left me clueless above. You actually only understand it when you already know it.

Comment 14 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-16 19:09:51 UTC
(In reply to Ralf Corsepius from comment #13)

Hello,

Thanks for adding me and eseyman to perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon but you forgot to do the same for perl-Text-Haml, which is a dependency needed to build perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon, as I requsted in commment #11.

Best regards,

Comment 15 Robert-André Mauchin 2018-02-19 16:53:21 UTC
(In reply to Robert-André Mauchin from comment #14)
> (In reply to Ralf Corsepius from comment #13)
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Thanks for adding me and eseyman to perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon but you
> forgot to do the same for perl-Text-Haml, which is a dependency needed to
> build perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon, as I requsted in commment #11.
> 
> Best regards,

Comment 16 Ralf Corsepius 2018-02-19 18:36:49 UTC
Done. I added eseyman and eclispeo to perl-Text-Haml.

Comment 17 Matthew Miller 2018-02-19 19:21:18 UTC
Thank you, Ralf!

Comment 18 Fedora Update System 2018-02-19 20:52:23 UTC
perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-1.00-14.el7 has been submitted as an update to Fedora EPEL 7. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2018-3b856ae7a7

Comment 19 Fedora Update System 2018-02-20 17:37:36 UTC
perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-1.00-14.el7 has been pushed to the Fedora EPEL 7 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2018-3b856ae7a7

Comment 20 Fedora Update System 2018-03-13 17:06:30 UTC
perl-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-1.00-14.el7 has been pushed to the Fedora EPEL 7 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.