Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 154917
Segmentation fault while compiling Xalan 1.9 sources
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:06:54 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040910
Description of problem:
I get this error below while trying compile xalan 1.9 sources that I downloaded from apache website.
g++ -O2 -DNDEBUG -fno-elide-constructors -Wall -fPIC -DLINUX -D_REENTRANT -DXALAN_INMEM_MSG_LOADER -DXALAN_USE_ICU -c -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/src -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/include -I../../nls/include -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/xerces-c-src_2_6_0/src/ -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/xerces-c-src_2_6_0/include/xercesc -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/xerces-c-src_2_6_0/include/ -I/home/essfs1/rmysore/icu/include -o ../../obj/XPathExecutionContextDefault.o /home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XPath/XPathExecutionContextDefault.cpp
/home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/Include/XalanObjectCache.hpp: In method
`xalanc_1_9::XPathExecutionContextDefault::XPathExecutionContextDefault (xalanc_1_9::XPathEnvSupport &,
xalanc_1_9::DOMSupport &, xalanc_1_9::XObjectFactory &, xalanc_1_9::XalanNode *, const
xalanc_1_9::NodeRefListBase *, const xalanc_1_9::PrefixResolver *)':
/home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/Include/XalanObjectCache.hpp:291: Internal error:
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
gmake: *** [../../obj/XPathExecutionContextDefault.o] Error 1
gmake: Leaving directory `/home/essfs1/rmysore/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
gcc version 2.96 20000731
Steps to Reproduce:
Download xerces 2.6 sources, icu 3.2 and xalan 1.9 Sources
Setup the required environment variables etc as per xerces/icu build isntructions.
Build Xerces and ICU first. No problem there.
Then build xalan.
It is always the same file xalanc/XPath/XPathExecutionContextDefault.cpp
Actual Results: Should compile.
Expected Results: We use g++(gcc version 2.96 20000731). I searched through the bugs list and I found quite a few similar bugs with compiler. None exactly to do with xalan sources. I am wondering if this is because of any optimization settings. I am not sure if there is a patch that already takes care of this problem or if there is a workaround.
I found the same thing on RHEL, ES release 2.1, gcc 2.96, on Xalan 1.10 as well,
on the same line of code (line 293 in this Xalan version).
After -O2, use the "-fno-default-inline" option and compiler error goes away.
Guess it had to do with optimization after all.
This fixes the seg faults while building xalan. On a side note, you might want
to move to a different compiler version. We ran into some issues/crashes at
run time (with simple xalan transformation) using xalan built with gcc 2.96.
Thats when I realized that gcc2.96 is not a very stable production release. So
we moved to using gcc 3.2.3. That solved the problem. Take a look at this note
from Dave Bertoni frm xalan dev.
You should not be using this fake version of GCC for production work:
Since the code works on every other platform, including official
released versions of GCC, I don't understand why you think this is a bug.
The code is perfectly legal, and is likely failing because of a compiler
or library bug.
This bug is filed against RHEL2.1, which is in maintenance phase.
During the maintenance phase, only security errata and select mission
critical bug fixes will be released for enterprise products. Since
this bug does not meet that criteria, it is now being closed.
For more information of the RHEL errata support policy, please visit:
If you feel this bug is indeed mission critical, please contact your
support representative. You may be asked to provide detailed
information on how this bug is affecting you.