This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2016-09-28. It is expected to last about 1 hours
Bug 158455 - kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 completly locks system up
kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 completly locks system up
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 73733
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: kernel (Show other bugs)
3
i686 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dave Jones
Brian Brock
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2005-05-22 09:57 EDT by Peter Hammond
Modified: 2015-01-04 17:19 EST (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-08-03 18:48:31 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Peter Hammond 2005-05-22 09:57:41 EDT
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #157273 +++

Description of problem:
system locks after periods of no activity. e.g half an hour


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3

How reproducible:
Very

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Login to a session Manager (I have been using kde/gnome and xfce4)
2.Do some tasks(or not, makes no difference)
3.Leave computer for at least half an hour
  
Actual results:
keyboard doesn't allow input of any kind, have to re-boot the system


Expected results:
no lock ups

Additional info:
Also happens when no logged in, if I leave the machine at the session manager
screen I am unable to login as ai cannot type my password.

Desktop PC SPECS
Compaq Presario 5146EA
256 MB RAM
1.3 AMD Athlon processor


Everything worked ok on previous kernel updates. I am currently using
2.6.10-1.770_FC3 to avoid this problem 

Output from /var/log/messages

Apr 24 18:50:02 localhost crond(pam_unix)[29244]: session closed for user root
Apr 24 18:54:08 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status
-84 received
Apr 24 18:55:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[29260]: session opened for user root
by (uid=0)
Comment 1 Pete Zaitcev 2005-05-22 12:59:28 EDT
Is the system accessible over the network when this happens?
Comment 2 Peter Hammond 2005-05-23 14:30:18 EDT
This is a standalone machine, using a single port adsl router, and is not
configured for remote access
Comment 3 Dave Jones 2005-05-23 16:02:17 EDT
Do you have any USB storage devices in use ?
If so, this is probably fixed in the kernel update that went out this morning.
Comment 4 Peter Hammond 2005-05-23 16:07:59 EDT
(In reply to comment #3)
> Do you have any USB storage devices in use ?
> If so, this is probably fixed in the kernel update that went out this morning.
> 

USB memory stick 256mb, but haven't been using it.
Comment 5 Peter Hammond 2005-05-26 15:32:51 EDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Do you have any USB storage devices in use ?
> > If so, this is probably fixed in the kernel update that went out this morning.
> > 
> 
> USB memory stick 256mb, but haven't been using it.

(In reply to comment #3)
> Do you have any USB storage devices in use ?
> If so, this is probably fixed in the kernel update that went out this morning.
> 
I have just updated the kernel to version 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 and the problem is
still there!
Comment 6 Derek Atkins 2005-06-02 18:07:18 EDT
I've seen a problem similar to this on my Thinkpad T42p 2379-DYU with all
released FC3 kernels.  I do not use USB storage devices.
Comment 7 Dave Jones 2005-07-15 16:26:55 EDT
An update has been released for Fedora Core 3 (kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3) which
may contain a fix for your problem.   Please update to this new kernel, and
report whether or not it fixes your problem.

If you have updated to Fedora Core 4 since this bug was opened, and the problem
still occurs with the latest updates for that release, please change the version
field of this bug to 'fc4'.

Thank you.
Comment 8 Peter Hammond 2005-07-16 16:51:56 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> An update has been released for Fedora Core 3 (kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3) which
> may contain a fix for your problem.   Please update to this new kernel, and
> report whether or not it fixes your problem.
> 
> If you have updated to Fedora Core 4 since this bug was opened, and the problem
> still occurs with the latest updates for that release, please change the version
> field of this bug to 'fc4'.
>
Thank you. 

I have updated the kernel, and the problem still exists, every time I leave the
computer for more than 30 minutes, the keyborad becomes disabled and I have no
option but to reboot> I have thought about changing distros as this is getting
to be a right royal pain, but my family and I like FC3 and want to stick with it!


Comment 9 Dave Jones 2005-07-29 20:23:19 EDT
I wonder if this is some power management thing. Does booting with acpi=off make
the problem go away ?
Comment 10 Peter Hammond 2005-07-30 12:52:21 EDT
(In reply to comment #9)
> I wonder if this is some power management thing. Does booting with acpi=off make
> the problem go away ?
> 

How do i do that?
Comment 11 Peter Hammond 2005-07-31 16:57:44 EDT
Worked out how to boot with the command acpi=off added to the kernel line.

This has made no difference to the problem. The keyboard still dies after a
period of inactivity
Comment 12 Sitsofe Wheeler 2005-08-01 14:18:00 EDT
Hmm this is going to be hard to track down without more error information. It's
a real shame you can't check whether the machine is still alive over the network
as this can narrow things down to X.org crashes. Speaking of X.org, which
graphics card do you have?

Short of turning sysrq on and seeing whether parts of the kernel are still
responding to that, I don't know how much progress is going to be made on this...
Comment 13 Peter Hammond 2005-08-01 17:59:54 EDT
(In reply to comment #12)
> Hmm this is going to be hard to track down without more error information. It's
> a real shame you can't check whether the machine is still alive over the network
> as this can narrow things down to X.org crashes. Speaking of X.org, which
> graphics card do you have?
> 
> Short of turning sysrq on and seeing whether parts of the kernel are still
> responding to that, I don't know how much progress is going to be made on this...

NVIDIA geforce I think (have to reinstall driver after each kernel update)

Getting real fed up with this now..... It didn't do it in
kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 but has done since! so something that was changed in the
next kernel release must have triggered it..
If you guys can't help me sort it out I am gonna have to change distro's as my
daughter is trying to do her work on and I am trying to publish some web sites
and we have to keep rebooting all the time..
Comment 14 Dave Jones 2005-08-03 18:48:31 EDT
We can't debug problems with the binary NVIDIA driver loaded.
Report any problems to NVIDIA.


*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 73733 ***
Comment 15 Peter Hammond 2005-08-04 17:19:18 EDT
(In reply to comment #14)
> We can't debug problems with the binary NVIDIA driver loaded.
> Report any problems to NVIDIA.
> 
> 
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 73733 ***

I fail to see how my graphics driver affects my usb keyboard problem!, the
keyboard dies whether I load the nvidia driver or not as on previous kernel
releases i have failed to load the driver and still had the problem.... 

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.