Bug 158736 - README*.html and RELEASE-NOTES*.html have lang="en" attribute
Summary: README*.html and RELEASE-NOTES*.html have lang="en" attribute
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Classification: Red Hat
Component: redhat-release (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 4.0
Hardware: All Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
: ---
Assignee: John Ha
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2005-05-25 11:25 UTC by Jens Petersen
Modified: 2014-08-04 22:15 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-07-15 05:13:09 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
regression test script for RHTS (1.12 KB, text/plain)
2005-07-12 00:55 UTC, Lawrence Lim
no flags Details

Description Jens Petersen 2005-05-25 11:25:41 UTC
Description of problem:
All the (translated) README and RELEASE-NOTES contain tags with
lang="en" attributes.  Apart from some misrendering that this may
cause, the biggest conseqence of this is that it is not possible
to print out the notes for CJKI from firefox/mozilla.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. grep -L "lang=\"en\"" *.html | wc -l
2. Look for lang in *-ja.html files

Actual results:
1. 0
2. Find <div class="article" lang="en">, etc

Expected results:
1. 270
2. No lang attributes, or correct ones for each language
(ie *-ja.html would contain lang="ja", etc).

Additional info:
I believe this is a long-standing bug.
It is not clear to me if this is a docbook issue or a bug in the
way we generate the html of our translated readme's and relnotes.
(RHEL manual do not seem to be affected. :)

Comment 1 Bernd Groh 2005-05-26 05:00:34 UTC
It was a problem with us not changing lang="en" to lang="$lang" when creating
$lang.xml files from en.xml and $lang.po. DocBook merely uses the settings in
the xml files. I've fixed it all in 3.0E/*/Makefile and RHEL4/*/Makefile.

Additionally, I've changed 3.0E/Makefile and RHEL4/Makefile to replace zh_CN,
zh_TW and pt_BR with zh-CN, zh-TW and pt-BR, respectively, after creating the
html-files (see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1.1).

Should be all fixed for the next build.

Cheers,
Bernd

Comment 2 Jens Petersen 2005-05-26 06:01:08 UTC
Thanks a lot: this also means that it should become possible to print
out say Korean relnotes from a Japanese browser session from now on. :)


Comment 4 Bernd Groh 2005-05-27 00:11:05 UTC
Just another update, re: "replace zh_CN, zh_TW and pt_BR with zh-CN, zh-TW and
pt-BR"

I've taken it upstream to DocBook, and they've just added a new config
parameter, by default replacing the underscores with hyphens in the DocBook ->
HTML conversion:

   http://docbook.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

The config parameter will make it into the next release, though they're unsure
about the default value. They'd like to make it compliant by default, but may
decide to make the default backwards-compatible.

Cheers,
Bernd

Comment 6 Lawrence Lim 2005-07-12 00:55:40 UTC
Created attachment 116633 [details]
regression test script for RHTS

Comment 7 Lawrence Lim 2005-07-15 05:13:09 UTC
Confirm bugs has been fixed and test script has been committed to RHTS for
regression tetsing.


Thanks.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.