1. Proposed title of this feature request
[RFE] Foreman api call to boot from PXE
2. Who is the customer behind the request?
TAM customer: yes
SRM customer: yes
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Satellite 6.2 supports making servers boot from PXE via the ipmi provider, and can be triggered via Web UI. However those methods are not available via
Satellite API or hammer.
Satellite API should expose boot options in the same way webui is able
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Customer wants to leverage Satellite already having the BMC credentials stored in Satellite so any Satellite API user can use those boot methods without knowing the BMC credentials.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
- Have an API that can be called, and optionally include hammer support
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific time-line dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
Lzap, is there a way to do this today?
Satellite 6.2 contains such an API, it is in our documentation too. It was implemented in 2013 as part of https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/3046
Here is the docs:
Boot host from specified device
It has 4 parameters, it copy*pastes badly see the link. Scroll down a bit.
Lukas, wait.. if we already have the API why the upstream issue?
Oh that is because CLI, we do have API but not CLI. Let me move the ustream bug to hammer.
Moving this bug to POST for triage into Satellite 6 since the upstream issue https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/24099 has been resolved.
Verified on Satellite 6.5 snap 3, hammer boot sub-command has been added and it sends boot request with device params as expected
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.