The new graphical look to LILO is great! However, at install time, there
should be a check box to allow one to disable it. This would be very
useful for headless systems, systems w/o VGA, and systems using a serial
console. For example, I would turn it off for my firewall box (RH 6.1 on
a 486/66, stripped down version of RH).
I would be interested too by disabling this feature (but just in some case, keep
this feature by default).
An ability to boot without a graphical display
may be extremely useful in many situations.
I am not sure if this belongs to lilo or not but I agree.
The new VGA selection screen disappears if you delete certain new boot message line
What the last person was tryig to say.. I think I will try to make clearer.
what you need to do is...
- Become root (if not already)
- type "vi /etc/lilo.conf" [ENTER]
- arrow down to the line that looks like this
- hit 'd' twice. (this should DELETE that line entirely)
- type ":wq!" [ENTER]
- you should now be back at the prompt... type "lilo"
- type "reboot" (and notice the TEXT version of lilo is back)
(Sorry if this is too "remedial" for this buglist.. I work with people that need
help spelling vi :) )
Ditto what TJ said. Delete the message= line out of the lilo.conf file then
rerun lilo and you won't see the vga selection screen any more.