Description of problem:
Installation with DISA STIG security profile includes a misconfigured /etc/chrony.conf file which does not allow the chronyd service to start.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: 100%
Steps to Reproduce:
(1) Install from installation media
-set network and hostname
-DISA STIG security profile
(2) Set root password and create administrative user during installation (STIG profile will not allow root login at console)
(3) Reboot after installation
(4) Log in as administrative user, execute sudo -s
(5) Run "systemctl start chronyd" and review output
(6) Run "systemctl status chronyd" and review output
chronyd service fails to start
chronyd service starts
(1) Problem does not exist in installation with no security profile selected.
(2)Manually changing the "iburst1" parameter to "iburst" for the server entries in /etc/chrony.conf allows the service to start normally.
It looks like this issue:
Reassigning to openscap.
Reassigning to SSG.
Verified manually on version scap-security-guide-0.1.40-5.el7
`/etc/chronyd.conf` after reboot contains these lines, and chronyd starts:
[root@localhost ~]# grep maxpoll -C3 /etc/chrony.conf
# Use public servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
# Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10
server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10
server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10
server 3.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst maxpoll 10
# Record the rate at which the system clock gains/losses time.
[root@localhost ~]# systemctl status chronyd
● chronyd.service - NTP client/server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/chronyd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-09-17 01:03:31 CEST; 5min ago
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.