Bug 16071 - Aspell not working with XEmacs
Aspell not working with XEmacs
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: xemacs (Show other bugs)
7.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Trond Eivind Glomsrxd
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2000-08-12 12:35 EDT by ajs
Modified: 2008-05-01 11:37 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2000-08-17 17:19:56 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description ajs 2000-08-12 12:35:28 EDT
When XEmacs starts a new ispell process, it displays the error message
'aspell did not output version line'.  This happens with my old .emacs file
and with no .emacs file.

Aspell works with plain Emacs and no .emacs file.
Comment 1 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-13 11:57:50 EDT
Tried the ones from rawhide? The same was often happening with emacs with the
old RPMS
Comment 2 ajs 2000-08-13 17:38:10 EDT
Aren't the Pinstripe and rawhide XEmacs RPMs all version 21.1.11-1?
Comment 3 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-13 17:43:29 EDT
No - I think rawhide should have xemacs 21.1.12, aspell 0.32.1. Hmmm....
Comment 4 ajs 2000-08-13 18:02:11 EDT
When I go to ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/pub/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS the
versions are

	xemacs*		21.1.11-1
	aspell		.31.1-7

and from the Pinstripe installation I have

	xemacs*		21.1.11-1	(same)
	aspell		.32-1		(newer ???).

(I guess it's not really a bug, but the lack of a leading '0' on the aspell
version number did confuse a couple of my simpler regex's in some scripts)

Am I looking in the right place for the latest rawhide?

I found the emacs bug that you were talking about (#15555).  Did you mean the
word lists in the main aspell RPM?
Comment 5 ajs 2000-08-14 15:28:27 EDT
I just tried the xemacs*-21.1.12-1 RPMs in rawhide and I get the same error
Comment 6 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-15 17:15:28 EDT
Try starting xemacs as root and run M-x byte-compile-file on
/usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ispell/ispell.el

It helps here...
Comment 7 ajs 2000-08-15 21:07:00 EDT
No help here.  Here are the warnings that I get:

Compiling file /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ispell/ispell.el at Tue Aug
15 12:58:11 2000
  ** reference to free variable infodock-version
While compiling ispell-decode-string:
  ** reference to free variable enable-multibyte-characters
While compiling ispell-command-loop:
  ** variable message-log-max bound but not referenced
While compiling ispell-highlight-spelling-error-generic:
  ** reference to free variable inverse-video
  ** assignment to free variable inverse-video
While compiling ispell-init-process:
  ** reference to free variable enable-multibyte-characters
While compiling ispell-region:
  ** variable message-log-max bound but not referenced
  ** variable message-log-max bound but not referenced
  ** variable transient-mark-mode bound but not referenced
While compiling ispell-process-line:
  ** reference to free variable start
  ** reference to free variable end
  ** variable message-log-max bound but not referenced
  ** assignment to free variable start
  ** assignment to free variable end
While compiling ispell-message:
  ** reference to free variable sc-reference-tag-string
  ** reference to free variable sc-cite-regexp
  ** reference to free variable mh-ins-buf-prefix
  ** reference to free variable vm-included-text-prefix
While compiling the end of the data:
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: 
    decode-coding-string, ispell-int-char, framepop-display-buffer,
    make-overlay, overlay-put, delete-overlay,
    set-process-coding-system, sc-cite-regexp


When I try and use flyspell-mode or invoke ispell-buffer, I still get the same
error as before.

Tony
Comment 8 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-15 23:02:41 EDT
It works perfect with GNU Emacs... I'm looking into it. Recompiling the lisp
code helped me a couple of times, but not anymore... somethings fishy.
Comment 9 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-17 17:19:54 EDT
OK - here's another thing to try: get the ispell.el from the GNU Emacs emacs-el
package, byte-compile that with XEmacs and replace the ispell.{el,elc} files
XEmacs includes with these. It seems to work for me more reliably than the other
(which do work some times - especially when debugging with debug-on-entry)
Comment 10 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2000-08-17 18:36:49 EDT
Tested on another computer, - even with Norwegian dictionary.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.