Bug 161272 - Can't see Hebrew text
Can't see Hebrew text
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: openoffice.org (Show other bugs)
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Caolan McNamara
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2005-06-21 18:27 EDT by Jonathan Kamens
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 1.9.115-1
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2005-07-07 16:13:06 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)
standalone demo source (1002 bytes, text/x-csrc)
2005-07-07 06:10 EDT, Caolan McNamara
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-21 18:27:13 EDT
I am trying to figure out how to enter Hebrew text in an English document in
OpenOffice.  It does not seem to work.
I figured out how to activate Hebrew in my keyboard:

  setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,il

After doing this, I can type Hebrew into, e.g., Mozilla with no trouble, and it
shows up when I type it.

In openoffice, I enable CTL and tell it that I want Hebrew to be my CTL
language.  Then I switch to Hebrew keyboard layout and change my font to Aharoni
CLM.  Then I type Hebrew characters, and OpenOffice automatically switches into
right-to-left mode, but the characters are invisible.

Similarly, if I cut-and-paste Hebrew from, e.g., a Hebrew Web site being
displayed in Mozilla, into OpenOffice, the Hebrew is invisible.

Note: The Hebrew characters do have width, but they're just blank spaces.

I tried printing a document with Hebrew and the characters are also invisible in
the print-out.

I've pulled my hair out about this enough that I'm pretty certain it's an
openoffice problem rather than something I'm not doing right, but I'll happily
be corrected.

I've got version 1.9.109-1.2.0.fc5.
Comment 1 Caolan McNamara 2005-06-22 04:02:44 EDT
you have the hebrew language pack of he_IL installed I presume ?
Comment 2 Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-22 07:27:44 EDT
I didn't, but I do now (as well as upgraded to 1.9.109-6.2.0.fc5), and it didn't
solve the problem.  Perhaps I'm confused, but I thought that the langpacks were
only for UI elements and spelling dictionaries, not for screen fonts.

Also, when I try to do stuff with Hebrew fonts, OpenOffice prints this mesage
repeatedly: "--- Couldn't get FontFamily for 'MiscFixed'".  I wonder if this is
relevant to the problem I'm seeing.
Comment 3 Caolan McNamara 2005-06-22 07:40:07 EDT
yeah, but it has a depends on some hebrew fonts which I wanted to confirm are
installed on you're machine :-)
Comment 4 Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-22 07:42:59 EDT
I have fonts-hebrew installed.
It wasn't showing up in the xlsfonts output, so I added it to
/etc/X11/fs/config, ran mkfontscale on it, and reloaded my font server.  Now the
X server can see the hebrew fonts, but Hebrew's still invisible in OO.
Comment 5 Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-22 07:43:42 EDT
Incidentally, shouldn't mkfontscale have been run on the font folder and
shouldn't it have been added to /etc/X11/fs/config automatically when I
installed the package?
Comment 6 Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-22 07:48:06 EDT
Here's another strange thing.... When I run "xfd" on one of the CLM fonts from
fonts-hebrew that I just added to the font server, it only displays the English
characters in the font.  The "Next" button is disabled, so I can't get to the
Hebrew characters.  Does this mean there aren't actually any Hebrew characters
in the font, or the X server and/or xfs doesn't know how to deal with them, or what?
Comment 7 Jonathan Kamens 2005-06-22 08:08:38 EDT
Sorry to keep tackingon commnts, but.... If I load one of the PFAs from
fonts-hebrew into fontforge, it can see the Hebrew characters.  So why can
fontforge see them but the X server (and seemingly OO as well) can't?

Another addendum.... I noticed that if I load the font with the iso10646
encoding rather than adobe-fontspecific encoding, then xfd can see the Hebrew
glyphs.  So I tried removing the adobe-fontspecific fonts from fonts.scale,
reloading my font server, and restarting ooffice, but the Hebrew's still invisible.

I suppose I should have mentioned by now that I'm setting my CTL font to Aharoni
CLM in Format > Character... and setting the default language fot CTL to Hebrew.
Comment 8 Caolan McNamara 2005-06-29 05:28:27 EDT
Should give 1.9.112 a spin to see if the new font substitution stuff makes a
difference to you,
http://www.fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#sn-xwindows describes how
to install fonts (the ooo is different note is spurious)
Comment 9 Caolan McNamara 2005-07-07 06:10:56 EDT
Created attachment 116465 [details]
standalone demo source

FcPatternAddWeak vs FcPatternAdd, with weak no substition for e.g. David CLM,
fine with non weak
Comment 10 Caolan McNamara 2005-07-07 06:13:30 EDT
caolanm->dcbw: Using FcPatternAdd instead of FcPatternAddWeak on family name
gives me hebrew content again. I've checked in this change.
Comment 11 Caolan McNamara 2005-07-07 16:13:06 EDT
fixed in 1.9.115-1 rawhide, will update fc4 soon

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.