Bug 1633526 - Virt-v2v is killed with SIGKILL instead of SIGTERM
Summary: Virt-v2v is killed with SIGKILL instead of SIGTERM
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat CloudForms Management Engine
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Automate
Version: 5.9.4
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
medium
high
Target Milestone: GA
: 5.10.0
Assignee: Fabien Dupont
QA Contact: Yadnyawalk Tale
URL:
Whiteboard: v2v
Depends On: 1634029
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2018-09-27 08:35 UTC by Fabien Dupont
Modified: 2019-02-07 23:03 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

Fixed In Version: 5.10.0.21
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2019-02-07 23:03:43 UTC
Category: ---
Cloudforms Team: ---
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHSA-2019:0212 None None None 2019-02-07 23:03:52 UTC

Description Fabien Dupont 2018-09-27 08:35:36 UTC
In the course of a discussion with Richard W.M. Jones, he said that:

> It's not too nice to send kill -9 to virt-v2v because it means none of
> the at-exit handlers get to run, so it will leave temporary files all
> over the place.  It's better to send an ordinary kill signal (eg. SIGTERM).
> If virt-v2v doesn't exit after some grace period, eg. 30 seconds, then it's
> a bug, but maybe you could then send SIGKILL.

Then Automate code code should be changed to first using SIGTERM to kill virt-v2v with a grace period of 30 seconds. After that grace period, virt-v2v can be sent SIGKILL.

Comment 4 Yadnyawalk Tale 2018-11-26 12:20:59 UTC
This bz took my 2h for verification. I provisioned vm and tried to migrate it, While migrating I checked processes on OSP controller, as expected virt-v2v and virt-v2v-wrapper was on top in process usage.

I found till migration cancellation, processes was working totally fine, as I pressed cancel on cfme, it waited around 20-30s and then killed virt-v2v (and wrapper in few minutes after that)

I am not so sure on how should we test this thing but with mentioned steps I can see fix works just fine. Attached logs which shows working processes over time of migration.

Tested on -  5.10.0.24.20181113213923_03b81fd

Comment 5 Yadnyawalk Tale 2018-11-26 12:22:52 UTC
Typo - I checked processes on qeconversion (conversion instance of OSP) not OSP controller.

Comment 7 errata-xmlrpc 2019-02-07 23:03:43 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2019:0212


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.