Distributed Kernel 2.0.36-0.7 on an i486.
32M Ram, 64M Swap.
Generic Serial Mouse on /dev/cua0 with 3-button emulation.
Reproduced readily with:
1) Login as root on Console 1
2) Login as normal user on Console 2
3) Use emacs to create a HelloWorld.cc program file
4) Compile Helloworld.cc with g++
5) Logout on Console 2
6) Execute shutdown -h now on Console 1
7) Shutdown hangs at point where gpm is killed
Can we please see the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/mouse?
We've seen a very similar problem on the NetWinder. Doing an strace
on the "gpm -k" shows that it is hanging in socket call to connect().
It is not clear what the point of this socket call is for.
I believe that this has been fixed in rawhide with our newer version