1. Proposed title of this feature request
There should be some global setting to set PXE Loader which can be used while provisioning if PXE Loader in not explicitly mentioned.
2. What is the nature and description of the request?
Customer have multiple nested host group where PXE Loader is not set therefore while provisioning satellite fails to create TFTP file /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/
As in parent hostgroup operating system is not selected, customer cannot set PXE loader as PXE loader option is disable.
3. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
==> There should be PXE Loader setting in Administer > settings > provisioning.
4. Does the customer have any specific time-line dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
5. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
We briefly discussed this when implementing this feature and we agreed on not introducing this field because PXE loader is nothing else than a regular host field. We already have overwhelming amount of global options. Please use Host groups for that.
I don't like any of the suggestions, global is just another value in the heap of settings we want to eventually shrink rather than top up. OS needs to be filled in because we suggest PXE loader according to PXE templates associated with an OS.
However I am sending a simple patch (one line) upstream to allow you to override PXE loader via OS parameter named "pxe-loader". You need to set this for each Operating System but this would do it.
Upstream bug assigned to email@example.com
Moving this bug to POST for triage into Satellite 6 since the upstream issue https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/25356 has been resolved.
on sat6.7.0 snap#10
- the pxeloader is now automatically loaded from the OS parameter, however the hin about so-called "overriding" is a bit misleading, as it's not as much of overriding as picking up a 'default' value.
- My first impression was that this should override whatever pxe-loader i choose during host creation but it doesn't work like that, it works the other way around - The pxe-loader field actually overrides the OS parameter.
And I believe it is correct:
> 1. Proposed title of this feature request
> There should be some global setting to set PXE Loader which can be used while provisioning if PXE Loader in not explicitly mentioned.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.