Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 165027
Popen3 call in smart/backends/solaris/pm.py hangs
Last modified: 2007-06-26 11:11:46 EDT
Description of problem: When attempting to install a patch cluster on a solaris
machine (8, 9, or 10), the call to unzip hangs. Unzip is called using a
popen2.Popen3 object. It appears that the output file descriptor needs to have a
bit read from it, and then be closed.
How reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Schedule a patch cluster install
2. Run rhn_check on the client machine
3. Watch the unzip call hang
Actual results: The patch cluster install hangs.
Expected results: The patch cluster installs.
Fixed in SVN.
I added a few lines to smart/backends/solaris/pm.py that will read a bit from
the fromchild file object and close it, which should allow unzip to run without
1. Register a solaris client to a satellite to a satellite and subscribe it to a
channel that contains a patch cluster package.
2. Schedule an installation of the patch cluster package.
3. Run rhn_check -vvv on the solaris client and make sure it doesn't hang when
unzipping the pkg. It can take a while for the patch cluster to unzip and install.
up2date patch cluster -- the call to unzip doesn't hang, it just takes forever
since the patch cluster is huge.