Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 165639
vim-X11-6.3.086-0.fc3 requires gtk2 >= 2.6 but only gtk2-2.4 is provided
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:11 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050720 Fedora/1.0.6-1.1.fc3 Firefox/1.0.6
Description of problem:
'yum update" would like to update my system with vim-X11-6.3.086-0.fc3, but it reequire gtk2-2.6 which is not available for FC3. My guess is that vim-X11 should be rebuilt against gtk2-2.4 for FC3.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Actual Results: ---> Package vim-X11.i386 1:6.3.086-0.fc3 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: gtk2 >= 2.6 for package: vim-X11
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: gtk2 >= 2.6 is needed by package vim-X11
Expected Results: Complete!
The problem is that the vim.spec file calls out for gtk2 >= 2.6 but it does not
need it. In fact, the spec file builds just fine on a standard FC3 machine
(gtk2 2.4.x) but the resulting RPM fails due to this check!
If you "rpm --nodeps" the file it will install and run just fine.
See line 229 of the vim.spec file.
As far as I can tell, it should not require gtk2 >= 2.6 in atleast the FC3
builds and it would be even better if the spec file defined the dependancy to be
that of the version built against. (Maybe?)
Just change the 2.6 to 2.4 and rebuild the binary RPMs and then you would not
need to use the "--nodeps" option.
Yes, leaving the hard requirement was an oversight. It's already fixed in
6.3.086-0.fc3.1 in the testing tree. If you can confirm that it works (even
gvim), I'll move it over to final.
vim-X11-6.3.086-0.fc3.1.i386.rpm and vim-common-6.3.086-0.fc3.1.i386.rpm from
testing installed and gvim at least started up and edited one file correctly.
But, vim-enhanced would not install at the same time because it wanted
vim-common = 1:6.3.086-0.fc3. This meant that vim and vi were not installed.
So, it looks to me like all three (vim-common, vim-X11 and vim-enhanced) need to
be updated as a set.
It looks ok now.
I installed vim-X11.i386 1:6.3.086-0.fc3.1 vim-common.i386 1:6.3.086-0.fc3.1 and
vim-enhanced.i386 1:6.3.086-0.fc3.1 together with no problems. Gvim vim and vi
all see to work.
I see no further problem.
Thanks for testing...
I've moved the package from -testing to -final