1. Proposed title of this feature request
[RFE] Java 11 in Satellite 6
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
This rfe is for java 11 to be included in Satellite 6.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
The earlier versions will be supported for a while longer, but this customer's management has a mentality of moving to the latest and greatest versions of products. As such, they are requesting version 11.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
There should be an updated version of the package available.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
If they can `yum update` and have it update to version 11, this would be successfully implemented.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
No, but the sooner the better.
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
The version of Java available with Satellite 6 is determined by Candlepin's and Puppetserver requirements along with whatever the base OS provides us. Given these do not require Java 11 at present, we cannot see a reason to carry a newer Java ourselves.
reaching out in the interest of guiding the customer's expectations on this particular RFE moving forward - would it be possible to get an update on the status of this outstanding RFE, or something that can be made transparent to the customer reasonably?
This RFE has not been slated for a release. As Erci said earlier, we do not envision moving to this until the dependent libraries require it.