From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050719 Fedora/1.7.10-1.5.1
Description of problem:
"security.c in hcid for BlueZ 2.18 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters in the Bluetooth device name when invoking the PIN helper."
This is fixed in bluez-utils 2.19. From <http://www.bluez.org/>:
"06.08.2005 Release of bluez-libs-2.19 and bluez-utils-2.19
These releases fixes a security problem when the remote device names contain shell escape characters and an off by one memory allocation bug. They also add preliminary support for device specific service records."
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
I've prepared some updated packages, which you can find here:
It's unclear to me whether you need to update bluez-utils too, so I did:
I've tested this pair of packages by sending some images from a Sony Ericsson
K750i mobile phone (cell phone) to my MSI USB Bluetooth dongle on my PC. Not
exactly extensive testing.
Closing bug, since FC4 is no longer supported.
This probably should have been fixed before that happened, but unfortunately it
wasn't. Maybe the Fedora Legacy folks will issue an update.