Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 167305
rmmod ipw2200; modprobe ipw2200 required
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:12 EST
Description of problem:
The ipw2200 module seems to require a reload for NM to function properly.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Always on kernels 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 and 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start up computer with NetworkManager set to start at boot.
2. Watch as wireless network scan goes and it finds rh-wireless
3. Observe as NM attempts to connect to rh-wireless but seems to time out on
connection attempt and restarts network scan.
4. # rmmod ipw2200; modprobe ipw2200 and service NetworkManager restart
5. NM scans, finds rh-wireless, and connects very quickly
See steps above
No module unload; reload required.
This is a brand new IBM T42. lspci says: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
(rev 05). I've tried two different versions of the firmware and the same
behaviour occurs in both cases. dmesg has a entries about WEP decryption
failing. Sorry if this is a NM bug.
Mass update to all FC4 bugs:
An update has been released (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4) which rebases to a new upstream
kernel (188.8.131.52). As there were ~3500 changes upstream between this and the
previous kernel, it's possible your bug has been fixed already.
Please retest with this update, and update this bug if necessary.
This no longer appears to be necessary (as of 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4, actually).