Bug 1674843 - ekiga: FTBFS in Fedora rawhide/f30
Summary: ekiga: FTBFS in Fedora rawhide/f30
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: ekiga
Version: rawhide
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Peter Robinson
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
: 1707697 1710756 1711937 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: F30FTBFS 1710756
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2019-02-11 17:07 UTC by Fedora Release Engineering
Modified: 2019-05-30 12:51 UTC (History)
11 users (show)

Fixed In Version: ekiga-4.0.1-44.fc30
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2019-05-30 12:51:31 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
build.log (1.00 KB, text/plain)
2019-02-11 17:07 UTC, Fedora Release Engineering
no flags Details
root.log (1.00 KB, text/plain)
2019-02-11 17:07 UTC, Fedora Release Engineering
no flags Details
state.log (617 bytes, text/plain)
2019-02-11 17:07 UTC, Fedora Release Engineering
no flags Details

Description Fedora Release Engineering 2019-02-11 17:07:45 UTC
ekiga failed to build from source in Fedora rawhide/f30

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=32379920


For details on the mass rebuild see:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_30_Mass_Rebuild
Please fix ekiga at your earliest convenience and set the bug's status to
ASSIGNED when you start fixing it. If the bug remains in NEW state for 8 weeks,
ekiga will be orphaned. Before branching of Fedora 31,
ekiga will be retired, if it still fails to build.

For more details on the FTBFS policy, please visit:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fails_to_build_from_source

Comment 1 Fedora Release Engineering 2019-02-11 17:07:47 UTC
Created attachment 1529810 [details]
build.log

file build.log too big, will only attach last 1024 bytes

Comment 2 Fedora Release Engineering 2019-02-11 17:07:48 UTC
Created attachment 1529811 [details]
root.log

file root.log too big, will only attach last 1024 bytes

Comment 3 Fedora Release Engineering 2019-02-11 17:07:49 UTC
Created attachment 1529812 [details]
state.log

Comment 4 Jonathan Wakely 2019-02-11 21:40:22 UTC
checking for boostlib >= 1.34... yes
checking whether the Boost::Signals library is available... no
BUILDSTDERR: configure: error: You need the boost signals library to compile Ekiga

Boost.Signals library has been removed from the version of Boost in rawhide. The code should be ported to use Boost.Signals2 (or if the check is unnecessary, just stop checking for Boost.Signals).

Comment 5 Milan Crha 2019-02-14 17:48:04 UTC
I only briefly looked on this and the check is unfortunately valid. There is no release of the upstream code with the Boost.Signals2 usage, but it exists. The problem I faced with my (semi-)quick tests was with not new enough version of ptlib in rawhide. The upstream checkout of the master branch at commit 8c954b8a requires ptlib 2.16.3 and opal 3.16.3. I do not know whether it's possible to update those together with ekiga in Fedora.

Comment 6 Peter Robinson 2019-02-14 17:56:43 UTC
They tend to be quite closely tied. I'm considering just retiring ekiga/opal/ptlib because while upstream isn't officially dead it's pretty damn close

Comment 7 Milan Crha 2019-02-15 08:34:21 UTC
(In reply to Peter Robinson from comment #6)
> They tend to be quite closely tied.

Ah, I see. I noticed the version check to be 'equal', instead of 'equal or greater than', in the .spec file.

> I'm considering just retiring ekiga/opal/ptlib because while upstream
> isn't officially dead it's pretty damn close

I agree with mostly inactive upstream "these days", but I think it would not be fair to retire it for Fedora 30 at this moment, because anyone interested to take ownership won't have much time to fix it for Fedora 30. What about getting the master snapshot and update all three packages (does anything else use opal/ptlib in Fedora? I'd guess no) and retire it for Fedora 31? I do not have any personal preference here, I do not use ekiga, I'm just thinking of "being fair". Anyway, it's only my opinion. The decision is up to you.

Comment 8 Peter Robinson 2019-02-16 11:57:51 UTC
> > I'm considering just retiring ekiga/opal/ptlib because while upstream
> > isn't officially dead it's pretty damn close
> 
> I agree with mostly inactive upstream "these days", but I think it would not
> be fair to retire it for Fedora 30 at this moment, because anyone interested
> to take ownership won't have much time to fix it for Fedora 30. What about

Well F-30 hasn't branched as yet so I don't agree. I could ask if anyone is interested in taking it over.

> getting the master snapshot and update all three packages (does anything
> else use opal/ptlib in Fedora? I'd guess no) and retire it for Fedora 31? I
> do not have any personal preference here, I do not use ekiga, I'm just
> thinking of "being fair". Anyway, it's only my opinion. The decision is up
> to you.

I don't have time to rebase to git trees, nor the time to test that something like that even worked, nor do I have the interest and I have no idea what the state of git master is. I think we'd be better off just retiring it.

Comment 9 Milan Crha 2019-02-18 09:07:31 UTC
No problem. I'd like to help, but I also do not use ekiga, thus I've no idea how to test it properly.

Comment 10 Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD) 2019-04-16 09:45:32 UTC
Has this been retired yet? It is currently preventing upgrades to F30:

Problem 4: problem with installed package ekiga-4.0.1-42.fc29.x86_64
  - package ekiga-4.0.1-42.fc29.x86_64 requires libedataserver-1.2.so.23()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed                                                                
  - evolution-data-server-3.30.5-2.fc29.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository


Maybe mail the ML asking if anyone wants to take it up and fix it?

Comment 11 Fedora Release Engineering 2019-04-26 23:26:50 UTC
Dear Maintainer,

your package has not been built successfully in f30. Action is required from you.

If you can fix your package to build, perform a build in koji, and either create
an update in bodhi, or close this bug without creating an update, if updating is
not appropriate [1]. If you are working on a fix, set the status to ASSIGNED to
acknowledge this. Following the latest policy for such packages [2], your package
can be orphaned if this bug remains in NEW state more than 8 weeks.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy
[2] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/

Comment 12 Denis Marchand 2019-05-01 09:16:40 UTC
(In reply to Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD) from comment #10)
> Has this been retired yet? It is currently preventing upgrades to F30:
> 
> Problem 4: problem with installed package ekiga-4.0.1-42.fc29.x86_64
>   - package ekiga-4.0.1-42.fc29.x86_64 requires
> libedataserver-1.2.so.23()(64bit), but none of the providers can be
> installed                                                                
>   - evolution-data-server-3.30.5-2.fc29.x86_64 does not belong to a
> distupgrade repository
> 
> 
> Maybe mail the ML asking if anyone wants to take it up and fix it?

Same problem on my system today.

Cheers.

Denis

Comment 13 Peter Robinson 2019-05-01 09:19:32 UTC
Problem is ekiga upstream is dead so it's a matter of constantly gluing it back together with any changes to upstream packages. I'm happy if someone is interested in taking over the stack (ptlib/opal/ekiga) but I do wonder if it's worth it.

Comment 14 Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD) 2019-05-01 09:36:08 UTC
Yeh, probably best to orphan it if it's dead---I doubt it's commonly used nowadays with the plethora of apps that include its functionality. If no one picks it up, it'll be retired (and added to fedora-obsolete-whatever) to ensure that the upgrade path doesnt break?

Comment 15 Robert Scheck 2019-05-12 02:12:45 UTC
Could somebody review https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ptlib/pull-request/1 and merge, please?

Comment 16 Milan Crha 2019-05-16 13:44:35 UTC
*** Bug 1710756 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 17 Robert Scheck 2019-05-16 21:59:45 UTC
*** Bug 1707697 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 18 Peter Lemenkov 2019-05-20 09:22:37 UTC
(In reply to Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD) from comment #14)
> Yeh, probably best to orphan it if it's dead---I doubt it's commonly used
> nowadays with the plethora of apps that include its functionality. 

Surprisingly but it's hard to find a SIP client which works in Fedora. Empathy (telepaty) is dead as well, Twinkle isn't very functional (lacks G.729, standalone). I'm going to try Pidgin - let's see if it works with SIP-servers.

Comment 19 Peter Lemenkov 2019-05-20 09:24:52 UTC
(In reply to Peter Lemenkov from comment #18)
> (In reply to Ankur Sinha (FranciscoD) from comment #14)
> > Yeh, probably best to orphan it if it's dead---I doubt it's commonly used
> > nowadays with the plethora of apps that include its functionality. 
> 
> Surprisingly but it's hard to find a SIP client which works in Fedora.
> Empathy (telepaty) is dead as well, Twinkle isn't very functional (lacks
> G.729, standalone). I'm going to try Pidgin - let's see if it works with
> SIP-servers.

And here it is - SIP is not working in Pidgin.

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/9754

So the only VoIP option left is to use Android. Might not be a problem for a regular user but SIP-development on Fedora becomes troublesome.

Comment 20 Robert Scheck 2019-05-20 09:42:59 UTC
I would like to see some feedback for https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/robert/ekiga/ in order to get Ekiga back again.

Comment 21 Peter Lemenkov 2019-05-20 09:58:53 UTC
(In reply to Robert Scheck from comment #20)
> I would like to see some feedback for
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/robert/ekiga/ in order to get Ekiga
> back again.

I've just tried it - it works for me. Please push the changes back to Fedora - let's make it available.

Comment 22 Peter Robinson 2019-05-20 10:42:26 UTC
Feel free to do a PR, if anyone wishes to assist and co-maintain also reach out

Comment 23 Robert Scheck 2019-05-20 11:08:45 UTC
(In reply to Peter Lemenkov from comment #21)
> I've just tried it - it works for me. Please push the changes back to Fedora - let's make it available.

Do calls really work for you (inbound, outbound) or does Ekiga just start and connect properly? Because...I've gotten a negative testing result for calls, but I wasn't able to track the cause down (likely in ptlib or opal due to latest gcc).

Comment 24 Robert Scheck 2019-05-20 11:10:52 UTC
(In reply to Peter Robinson from comment #22)
> Feel free to do a PR, if anyone wishes to assist and co-maintain also reach out

I'll create a pull request once I've some positive feedback (see comment #23) and I'll then apply for co-maintainer for these three packages.

Comment 25 Peter Robinson 2019-05-20 13:14:32 UTC
*** Bug 1711937 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 26 Peter Lemenkov 2019-05-20 20:57:48 UTC
(In reply to Robert Scheck from comment #23)
> (In reply to Peter Lemenkov from comment #21)
> > I've just tried it - it works for me. Please push the changes back to Fedora - let's make it available.
> 
> Do calls really work for you (inbound, outbound) or does Ekiga just start
> and connect properly? Because...I've gotten a negative testing result for
> calls, but I wasn't able to track the cause down (likely in ptlib or opal
> due to latest gcc).

I've just tested it with SEMS announcement module - I was able to dial in and hear some audio. So calls looks ok (SIP flow is normal). I cannot test 2-way audio - I suspect there is something with my mic settings in Ekiga or something. Let's push it and give it a try. I believe a somewhat troublesome app is better than app which is completely broken.

Comment 27 Robert Scheck 2019-05-20 23:22:40 UTC
So, here we go:

 - https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ptlib/pull-request/2
 - https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ekiga/pull-request/1

Peter, my FAS name is robert (-> ekiga, ptlib and opal).

Comment 28 Fedora Update System 2019-05-21 08:11:24 UTC
ekiga-4.0.1-44.fc30 ptlib-2.10.11-3.fc30 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 30. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-c5e3dc44ba

Comment 29 Fedora Update System 2019-05-22 01:44:07 UTC
ekiga-4.0.1-44.fc30, ptlib-2.10.11-3.fc30 has been pushed to the Fedora 30 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-c5e3dc44ba

Comment 30 Fedora Update System 2019-05-30 12:51:31 UTC
ekiga-4.0.1-44.fc30, ptlib-2.10.11-3.fc30 has been pushed to the Fedora 30 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.