Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 168592
Review Request: pychart: Python library for generating chart images
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:13 EST
Spec Name or Url: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/pychart.spec
SRPM Name or Url: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/pychart-1.38-1.src.rpm
PyChart is a Python library for creating high quality Encapsulated Postscript,
PDF, PNG, or SVG charts. It currently supports line plots, bar plots,
range-fill plots, and pie charts. Because it is based on Python, you can make
full use of Python's scripting power.
* rpmlint gives no warnings or errors
* Follows the naming guideline
* spec name matches package name
* Package licensed under the GPL
* GPL is listed in spec and included in package
* Spec file legible
* Sources match upstream
* Builds on x86_64
* No archs excluded yet
* Owns all directories
* No duplicate files
* File permisions set properly
* Package is code
* docs are independent of runtime
* docs for this package are a mess.
- Why not have a docs subpackage? Just under half of the files in the
package are currently docs. As this is a python library, they're all
- The documentaion tarball is not necessary (at least for this release.)
Currently, you're installing it into the same directory as the python
sources and then doing nothing with it. Additionally, the
PyChart-1.38.tar.gz contains the files in PyChart-1.38/doc/pychart
(Except for pychart.css)
- You want the *.py files from the examples directory -- the *.png files
are not examples in and of themselves.
- The examples/*.png and the pychart/*.png files are not the same but they
are definitely overlapping. The pychart/*.html files require the *.png
files in order to demonstrate what they're showing. You could combine these
png files but it may be overkill.
* Python libraries typically go in Group: Development/Languages
I'll post a proposed patch for these issues.
Created attachment 119004 [details]
Spec file patch to break out a doc cubpackage
* Removes doc tarball.
* Makes a doc subpackage.
* Grabs the whole examples and pychart directories.
Unresolved -- the examples and pychart directories have many pngs that are
similar (different sizes of the same thing.) They could potentially be shared
via symlink. Or this could be ignored. The docs package is 1.5MB installed so
the duplication isn't that severe.
Looks good to me. -2 incorporates your changes.
New SRPM: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/pychart-1.38-2.src.rpm
New SPEC: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/pychart.spec
Previous problems fixed. No new regressions found.