Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 169327
xmaxima not shown in KDE menu
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:14 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90; H010818)
Description of problem:
xmaxima does not appear in the desktop menu in the stock Fedora KDE 3.4.2.
I think this is due to the categories in xmaxima.desktop:
The Red Hat menu contains none of these categories. (Note that I'm running the official Fedora KDE packages, not the ones from the KDE-RedHat project.)
This may or may not affect GNOME as well (it probably does).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open the KDE menu (in stock Fedora packages of KDE 3.4.2).
2. Check all the categories, looking for xmaxima.
Actual Results: Xmaxima should be shown in one of the categories.
Expected Results: Xmaxima is nowhere to be found.
If my analysis is correct, then the solution to this problem is to add a valid category to the Categories list. I'd suggest one of "Office;", "Utility;" or maybe "Development;". (Yes, ideally, redhat-menus would have some category for scientific apps rather than having to stuff them all into some vaguely-fitting section, but...) "Office;" contains Kile and Lyx, most other Math-related stuff is in "Utility;".
(should) appear in the top-level "Edutainment" menu.
I've checked redhat-menus and indeed there should be such a category. I guess I
have a mess because this system is upgraded all the way from RHL 7.3 (7.3->FC1-
>FC2->FC3->FC4). I'll clean my mess up. ;-)
Sorry for the useless bug report.
In case anybody has the same problem: look in your ~/.config/menus for a stale
kmenuedit-generated applications-kmenuedit.menu. Unfortunately, kmenuedit not
only saves what you have changed (and I made a few changes back in the days to
work around bugs like Kate not being shown in the menu, which are fixed now)
but also a lot of things you haven't changed, which then don't get updated as
the distribution gets upgraded. (~/.local/share/applications should also get
cleaned up regularly, that's also written to by kmenuedit.) That solved my
So I can confirm the problem was on my side. Sorry for the noise.