Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 17142
no printing even after fixes recommended by RedHat
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:58 EDT
* upgraded from 5.2 to 6.1
* no printing, parallel ports unknown
* went to RedHat tech support
* added to /etc/conf/modules: alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
* parallel port /dev/lp0 is recognized
* cat file.txt > /dev/lp0 prints the text file
* lpr file.txt nothing
* lpc no daemon running
* downloaded latest lpr package, installed
* lpr file.txt makes printer to spit few empty pages.
* printtool - selected printer,
- test ASCII
- prints an empty page
Which printer are you using? What are your BIOS settings for the
I made some progress. It turns out that I did not upgrade ghostscript.
After the upgrade to ghostscript 5.10 here is what happens:
* test ; ASCII
* printer prints this
" If this is all you see, try enabling 'LF->CR/LF' translation in printtool..."
* Delete printer
* Add printer - but nowhere do I see anything where I could add
the above translation. ???
How do I do this?
By the way, my printer is HP DeskJet 600C, printing to /dev/lp0.
Thanks for help,
All works. In printtool I selected the printer driver for HP Jet 600C.
If its working on your end, I am going to resolve it.
Open the bug back up if something else comes up.