Bug 1718422 - [8.1] Red Hat fully supports Memory Mode for DC Optane Persistent Memory technology
Summary: [8.1] Red Hat fully supports Memory Mode for DC Optane Persistent Memory tech...
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8
Classification: Red Hat
Component: doc-Release_Notes-8-en-US
Version: 8.0
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
high
unspecified
Target Milestone: rc
: 8.1
Assignee: Lucie Maňásková
QA Contact: RHEL DPM
Marek Suchánek
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 1718423
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2019-06-07 17:43 UTC by Tomas Capek
Modified: 2019-08-12 10:42 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
.Memory Mode for Optane DC Persistent Memory technology is fully supported Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory storage devices provide data center-class persistent memory technology, which can significantly increase transaction throughput. To use the Memory Mode technology, your system does not require any special drivers or specific certification. Memory Mode is transparent to the operating system.
Clone Of:
: 1718423 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed: 2019-08-12 10:42:09 UTC
Type: Bug
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Tomas Capek 2019-06-07 17:43:08 UTC
From: Don Bayly <dbayly@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM
Subject: How do I get this added to RHEL 7 and 8 Documentation
To: Jana Wirch <jwirch@redhat.com>


We need to get this added to our DOC;s
------------------------------------
  Please Feel free to reword  this as necessary, but this has been verified with Engineering and Certification teams. Intel is requesting we make a specific statement on Memory Mode. This would be for 7.6 and 8.1
===================================

Red Hat fully supports Memory Mode for DC Optane Persistent Memory technology.

Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory devices provide data center-class persistent memory technology, which can significantly increase transaction throughput.

To use the Memory Mode technology, Red Hat needs no special changes in OS. Red Hat also does not call out for any specific certification to support Memory Mode.

Comment 1 Marek Suchánek 2019-06-10 11:07:48 UTC
(In reply to Tomas Capek from comment #0)
> From: Don Bayly <dbayly@redhat.com>
> Date: Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM
> Subject: How do I get this added to RHEL 7 and 8 Documentation
> To: Jana Wirch <jwirch@redhat.com>
> 
> 
> We need to get this added to our DOC;s
> ------------------------------------
>   Please Feel free to reword  this as necessary, but this has been verified
> with Engineering and Certification teams. Intel is requesting we make a
> specific statement on Memory Mode. This would be for 7.6 and 8.1
> ===================================

I've edited the draft to be usable as a release note.

A couple of things that I'd like somebody to clarify:

> Red Hat fully supports Memory Mode for DC Optane Persistent Memory
> technology.

Do we support any other modes? Are there any? Or does this simply mean that we support Optane DC as such?

> Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory devices provide data center-class
> persistent memory technology, which can significantly increase transaction
> throughput.
> 
> To use the Memory Mode technology, Red Hat needs no special changes in OS.

I assume this means that you can just connect the hardware and you don't have to configure anything. "Changes in the OS" sounds like adjusting kernel code, though, which I don't think is the case.

> Red Hat also does not call out for any specific certification to support
> Memory Mode.

"Certification" is related here to the system (the hardware, probably), not to the sysadmin, as in e.g. RHCSA, right?

Comment 2 Marek Suchánek 2019-06-10 16:47:12 UTC
Hi Jeff,

Could you please review the release note in the Doc Text?

I have a couple of questions about it in comment#1.

Thanks!

Comment 3 Jeff Moyer 2019-06-10 16:55:14 UTC
"To use the Memory Mode technology, you do not have to apply any specific configuration. Your system does not require any specific certification to support Memory Mode."

I'm not sure what you mean by "you do not have to apply any specific configuration."  The NVDIMMs do have to be configured in order to function in memory mode.  For RHEL customers, this means using whatever means is provided by the OSV's pre-boot environment.

Comment 4 Marek Suchánek 2019-06-10 17:03:05 UTC
(In reply to Jeff Moyer from comment #3)
> "To use the Memory Mode technology, you do not have to apply any specific
> configuration. Your system does not require any specific certification to
> support Memory Mode."
> 
> I'm not sure what you mean by "you do not have to apply any specific
> configuration."  The NVDIMMs do have to be configured in order to function
> in memory mode.  For RHEL customers, this means using whatever means is
> provided by the OSV's pre-boot environment.

Thanks for the review.

The "you do not have to apply any specific configuration" part is a rewrite of "To use the Memory Mode technology, Red Hat needs no special changes in OS" from the original draft. Do you know what "changes in OS" might mean in this context? I interpreted it as Optane-specific configuration, but it could also mean "special drivers" or "kernel modules".

If the sentence is too vague to mean anything, I'll just remove it.

Comment 5 Jeff Moyer 2019-06-10 17:17:45 UTC
(In reply to Marek Suchánek from comment #4)
> (In reply to Jeff Moyer from comment #3)
> > "To use the Memory Mode technology, you do not have to apply any specific
> > configuration. Your system does not require any specific certification to
> > support Memory Mode."
> > 
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "you do not have to apply any specific
> > configuration."  The NVDIMMs do have to be configured in order to function
> > in memory mode.  For RHEL customers, this means using whatever means is
> > provided by the OSV's pre-boot environment.
> 
> Thanks for the review.
> 
> The "you do not have to apply any specific configuration" part is a rewrite
> of "To use the Memory Mode technology, Red Hat needs no special changes in
> OS" from the original draft. Do you know what "changes in OS" might mean in
> this context? I interpreted it as Optane-specific configuration, but it
> could also mean "special drivers" or "kernel modules".
> 
> If the sentence is too vague to mean anything, I'll just remove it.

OK.  I believe "changes in os" means special driver support.  It may be useful to keep that sentence, but to tweak it so that it is clear that there is no OS configuration necessary.  Memory mode is transparent to the operating system.

Comment 6 Marek Suchánek 2019-06-10 17:40:24 UTC
(In reply to Jeff Moyer from comment #5)
> (In reply to Marek Suchánek from comment #4)
> > (In reply to Jeff Moyer from comment #3)
> > > "To use the Memory Mode technology, you do not have to apply any specific
> > > configuration. Your system does not require any specific certification to
> > > support Memory Mode."
> > > 
> > > I'm not sure what you mean by "you do not have to apply any specific
> > > configuration."  The NVDIMMs do have to be configured in order to function
> > > in memory mode.  For RHEL customers, this means using whatever means is
> > > provided by the OSV's pre-boot environment.
> > 
> > Thanks for the review.
> > 
> > The "you do not have to apply any specific configuration" part is a rewrite
> > of "To use the Memory Mode technology, Red Hat needs no special changes in
> > OS" from the original draft. Do you know what "changes in OS" might mean in
> > this context? I interpreted it as Optane-specific configuration, but it
> > could also mean "special drivers" or "kernel modules".
> > 
> > If the sentence is too vague to mean anything, I'll just remove it.
> 
> OK.  I believe "changes in os" means special driver support.  It may be
> useful to keep that sentence, but to tweak it so that it is clear that there
> is no OS configuration necessary.  Memory mode is transparent to the
> operating system.

Perfect, thanks. I've edited the release note.

I've also attached the "platform enablement" subsystem for release note tooling purposes.

Comment 7 Jeff Moyer 2019-06-10 17:43:18 UTC
(In reply to Marek Suchánek from comment #6)

> Perfect, thanks. I've edited the release note.

That looks great, thanks a lot, Marek!


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.