Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 172414
multiple errors system configuration upgrade from RHL 7 or 9
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:16 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5
Description of problem:
1.Under RHL, disks on i2o RAID device were shown as /dev/sdX; under FC4, they are /dev/i2o hdX. The
installer does not adjust the /etc/fstab files, so the install fails when it cannot find partitions that are
identified with device names instead of labels
2. Installer fails to find boot loader, even though GRUB is already present
3. The installer fails to adjust the symbolic links System.map and vmlinuz in /boot to point to the new
images, so boot fails.
4. install fails to exchange dpt_i2o device from RHL for i2o_core device in /etc/modprobe.conf.
Consequently, the initial boot after install fails with "kernel panic" and "attempting to kill init!!", even
after problem #3 is corrected.
5. vital service configuration files, such as /etc/named.conf are changed (effectively deactivating the
service) with little or no warning.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
whichever version is on the FC4 base iso (rpm -q anaconda yields nothing)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Upgrade from RHL to FC4 on a system with Adaptec i2o RAID controller
Actual Results: repeat of symptoms in description
Expected Results: repeat of symptoms in description
Direct upgrades from that far back aren't really supported
You mean to say that ALL these problems are the result of upgrading from an "older" OS?
Also, I forgot to mention that that on a system with dual processors, the installer did not
produce an SMP image at all...