Created attachment 1591438 [details]
grub.cfg after f30 upgrade & grub-install/grub-mkconfig
(Likely related to bug 1652806, opening a separate bug so as not to add to the noise over there)
After upgrading to f30, I'm experiencing problems similar to those described in the Common Bugs :
- BIOS-based machine
- upgrade concluded without issues
- on reboot, machine gets stuck in grub
- using /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.rpmsave allows booting without issues
1) the problem persists even after reinstalling grub to the bios_grub partition
2) this machine was originally installed with f28
so I think this is not quite the same bug.
- BIOS-based x86_64 bare-metal server
- GPT-partitioned BTRFS-Raid, each disk has bios_grub partition & grub installed to same
- originally installed with f28
- the installed grub pre-upgrade was most likely from f28. I might updated after the f29 upgrade, but it's unlikely. If so, it would have happened within approx. 1 month of the f29 release
- increment.mod and blscfg.mod are both present on the boot partition now, I don't know if that was the case before I tried fixing the issue with grub-install
Created attachment 1591439 [details]
original (working) grub.cfg
Created attachment 1591440 [details]
grubenv after f30 upgrade, grub-install/grub-mkconfig
Created attachment 1591441 [details]
list of modules in /boot/grub/i386-pc
Created attachment 1591442 [details]
gurb-related package versions pre- and post f30 upgrade
In the various bugs related to BLS, the potential issue of the install order of various grub-related packages came up, so here is it for my machine:
root@rescue / # rpm -qa --last | grep grub
grubby-8.40-31.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 09:46:58 AM CEST
grub2-tools-efi-2.02-81.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 01:07:39 AM CEST
grub2-pc-2.02-81.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 01:06:24 AM CEST
grub2-tools-extra-2.02-81.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 01:03:56 AM CEST
grub2-tools-2.02-81.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:58:17 AM CEST
grub2-tools-minimal-2.02-81.fc30.x86_64 Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:57:54 AM CEST
grub2-pc-modules-2.02-81.fc30.noarch Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:55:25 AM CEST
grub2-common-2.02-81.fc30.noarch Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:54:01 AM CEST
Ignore grubby, that was updated again this morning, so that time is the wrong one.
Is this issue still present?
I tested it right now (I had just used the old .cfg since reporting this bug) and the issue seems to be resolved.
Generating the new grub.cfg failed initially because of an invalid environment. I had a look at /boot/grub2/grubenv and it was EMPTY, so now I wonder whether that was the issue all along ... unfortunately I don't remember if I checked that at the time.
So now after 'grub2-editenv create' and 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' everything seems to be fine.