1. Proposed title of this feature request
[RFE] Create Report Template to list inactive hosts
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
Using the new Report Template functionality introduced in Satellite 6.5, create a report template to identify Hosts that aren't checking in, so they can be cleaned out of the enviornment. (Additionally provide a means to flag certain hosts for special do-not-delete use case).
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
In very large environments, tracking down inactive hosts can be problematic. Attempts to api/hammer search on the entire list of hosts take a prohibitively long time, and other RFEs (BZ#1522934) to make workarounds possible are being closed as WONTFIX.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Ideally the report template could list all the hosts on the system and the last_checkin value with the abiltity in the template to specify a minimum of time to display (i.e. Greater than 1 day, or greater than <n> hours, etc). Additionally, if a host parameter could be specified in the template to be included as well, the host parameter could be used to identify servers that are not checking in, but should not be deleted for specific edge case scenarios.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
The report would complete in a short time. (Currently listing the hosts via can take many minutes to complete and must be done in paginated requests)
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
Created redmine issue https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/28211 from this bug
The behavior of requested can partially achieved by included reports. In the "Host statuses" is possible to filter hosts by name and other attributes like "last_checkin". So if you want to list hosts where last_checkin was 3 hours ago until now, you can simply filter by "last_checkin < 3 hours ago" at the hosts input. The little problem is that is not possible to include to report a last_checkin value for given host. This improvement will be in the next release. After that, you will be able to add to report (ie. "Host statuses") last_checkin value for host also. The only drawback is make own report type.
1. You have to clone "Host statuses" report
2. Add to end of line 18 character "," (without quotes)
3. Create new row after line 18 and write " 'last_checking': last_checkin(host)" with indentation that respect line 18
4. Save and use it.
Dylan, does comment 5 resolved the issue? Or should we keep this RFE to track "making last_checking information available in report templates"?
Moving this bug to POST for triage into Satellite 6 since the upstream issue https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/28211 has been resolved.
Verified with Sat 6.8 snap 3.0.
1) Clone "Host - Statuses"
2) To "Host - Statuses clone", add field last_checkin:
'Last check-in': last_checkin(host)
3) Generate "Host - Statuses clone"
=> List with last checkins of content hosts. This is sufficient as per comment 11. Non-content hosts have last_checkin==0. This is expected because last_checkin only maps checkins with subscription-manager.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (Important: Satellite 6.8 release), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.