Description of problem:
Since OSP14 the way to provide the container images to be used during deployment/update/upgrade passed to be specified via the ContainerImagePrepare environment parameter.
When upgrading, it was this command the one that allowed us to point to the new version's container images:
openstack external-upgrade run --tags container_image_prepare
In a similar way,the container images were updating via:
openstack external-update run --tags container_image_prepare
In OSP15 these two commands seemed to be running, however when executing the upgrade/update workflow the container images were not present in the local registry (now a httpd vhost running in the Undercloud named image-serve). As a consequence, as the overcloud images could not be retrieved the update/upgrade process failed.
The tripleo-container-image-prepare command is being executed in the mistral_executor container locally, instead of on the Undercloud's host. Therefore, if we display the content of the /var/lib/image-serve/v2/rhosp15 folder in the mistral_exector, we will see the container images we want to update/upgrade to.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Deploy OSP15
2. Run the undercloud upgrade
3. Run the overcloud update prepare passing the new containers_prepare_parameters.yaml (pointing to the tag we want to update to)
4. Run the "openstack external-update run --tags container_image_prepare" command to upload the container images.
5. Print out the content of the Undercloud's directory /var/lib/image-serve/v2/rhosp15 and see that all the overcloud service container images are missing the new tag which should have been pulled.
6. Display mistral_exector image-serve folder via "sudo podman exec -it mistral_executor ls /var/lib/image-serve/v2/rhosp15"
7. All the images missing in the Undercloud can be found there (or the newest tag in the case of an update).
The container images are being up
A way to workaround this issue is to execute the old openstack command to upload the container images:
sudo openstack tripleo container image prepare \
*** Bug 1746440 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Everything is merged in stein.
In theory this change was meant to fix something which was already part of the upgrade/update process, so no extra doc would be needed besides the one we already had from OSP14: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_openstack_platform/14/html/keeping_red_hat_openstack_platform_updated/assembly-updating_the_overcloud#running-the-container-image-preparation
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.