Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 174361
"Error activating XKB configuration" on modular Xorg
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:18 EST
The Keyboad Indicator applet reports "Error activating XKB configuration" on
various operations after upgrading to the modular Xorg (0.99.1-3) packages. It
should be noted that libxkbfile version is 0.99.1-3.
I've narrowed down one problem: It stems from the fact that
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb has moved to /usr/share/X11/xkb, and libxklavier's
autoconf script doesn't detect it. Also, libxklavier doesn't support a file
layout where /usr/share/X11/xkb only contains the data and the 'xkbcomp'
executable resides in a different place.
I'll be sending a patch once everything is ready.
Created attachment 122582 [details]
Add XKB_BIN_BASE define
Patches the code to run xkbcomp from XKB_BIN_BASE/xkbcomp, and patches the
autoconf scripts to generate that define in config.h.
The actual files (configure and config.h) are provided as well within the
patch, since rpmbuild doesn't call autoconf/autoheader. If the patch goes
upstream, omit those files.
Created attachment 122583 [details]
Patch libxklavier.spec to include my patch
With this patch, the GNOME Keyboard Indicator applet still sees a very small
selection of layout options. Also, I'm unable to make it use more than one
layout... but at least it eliminates the error messages, so I guess we're
Sergey, please have a look.
Well, this patch makes sense to me, generally. The only thing is that it
includes changes to the "configure" script which is autogenerated;) I'll apply
it ASAP. Except for .spec file - I think most people still use nonmodular Xorg...
The spec is intended for Fedora. I didn't look at your spec. While in Fedora's
spec I allowed myself to hardcode the X directories, you should probably improve
configure.in to autodetect those values better; right now, $x_libraries was
simply not defined in my configure run (but I didn't research further into it).
Re autogenerated configure, I also included the configure.in file, which's what
you should take. The autogenerated one is for Fedora's consumption.
This has apparently been fixed in rawhide since Dec 27th. Closing...
Thanks for the patch Ilya!