Bug 1776030 - Failed to Update, org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached
Summary: Failed to Update, org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached
Keywords:
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: fwupd
Version: 31
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Richard Hughes
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
: 1780116 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2019-11-24 20:41 UTC by Chris Murphy
Modified: 2020-05-24 16:54 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: Bug


Attachments (Terms of Use)
screenshot of error (28.51 KB, image/png)
2019-11-24 20:41 UTC, Chris Murphy
no flags Details
journal, fwupd -v (630.96 KB, text/plain)
2019-12-03 06:17 UTC, Chris Murphy
no flags Details

Description Chris Murphy 2019-11-24 20:41:10 UTC
Created attachment 1639310 [details]
screenshot of error

Description of problem:

After upgrading from fwupd-1.2.11-2.fc31.x86_64 to fwupd-1.3.3-1.fc31.x86_64, when I login, GNOME shell complains about a failed update.

Almost certainly a dup of bug 1731758.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
fwupd-1.3.3-1.fc31.x86_64
fwupd-1.3.4-1.fc31.x86_64

How reproducible:
Always, and is a regression.


Steps to Reproduce:
1. Upgrade to fwupd 1.3.3
2. Reboot
3.

Actual results:

Failed to update notification in GNOME Shell (see screenshot) on every boot+login.

Expected results:

*shrug*

Additional info:

Updated to fwupd-1.3.4-1.fc31.x86_64 does not fix the problem.
Downgrading to fwupd-1.2.11-2.fc31.x86_64 fixes the problem.

Likely a dup of bug 1731758.

Comment 1 Chris Murphy 2019-11-24 21:35:55 UTC
Looks like I had this problem with 1.2.11-1 in bug 1731758 and for some reason it's back? I'm definitely not running into bug 1757948, /var/cache/fwupd exists and is populated.

Comment 2 Chris Murphy 2019-12-03 06:17:26 UTC
Created attachment 1641555 [details]
journal, fwupd -v

I see in the journal:
fwupd[2017]: 05:06:40:0860 FIXME                failed to allocate dbus proxy object: Error calling StartServiceByName for com.intel.tss2.Tabrmd: Timeout was reached

And curiously enough I've got a bunch of tpm2-abrmd spam where it can't find /dev/tpm0 so it restarts every 5s, which leads me to bug 1769215. I'm still not sure which one is instigating. As far as the kernel is concerned, there's no TPM2. I have another laptop without a TPM2 and it exhibits neither this bug nor bug 1769215. Kinda weird.

Comment 3 Chris Murphy 2019-12-03 19:19:20 UTC
Downgrading to fwupd-1.2.11-2.fc31.x86_64, I don't run into either this bug or bug 1769215.

Keeping fwupd-1.3.5-1.fc31.x86_64, but removing tpm2-abrmd, and I also don't run into either bug.

Comment 4 Simon 2019-12-05 12:51:43 UTC
*** Bug 1780116 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 5 Kjell Bjarne Ambjørnsen 2019-12-08 19:54:31 UTC
(In reply to Chris Murphy from comment #2)
> Created attachment 1641555 [details]
> journal, fwupd -v
> 
> I see in the journal:
> fwupd[2017]: 05:06:40:0860 FIXME                failed to allocate dbus
> proxy object: Error calling StartServiceByName for com.intel.tss2.Tabrmd:
> Timeout was reached
> 
> And curiously enough I've got a bunch of tpm2-abrmd spam where it can't find
> /dev/tpm0 so it restarts every 5s, which leads me to bug 1769215. I'm still
> not sure which one is instigating. As far as the kernel is concerned,
> there's no TPM2. I have another laptop without a TPM2 and it exhibits
> neither this bug nor bug 1769215. Kinda weird.


Same error here, bit also the line below:

fwupd[2997]: 19:15:44:0390 FIXME                failed to allocate dbus proxy object: Error calling StartServiceByName for com.intel.tss2.Tabrmd: Timeout was reached
fwupd[2997]: ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/esys_context.c:69:Esys_Initialize()

The comment about TPM2 made me have a look in the BIOS settings, and the TPM 2.0 was disabled. When I enabled it, the error disappeared and fwupd service is now running.

Version 1.3.5 / on a new Dell XPS 7390

Comment 6 Simon 2019-12-12 09:03:02 UTC
Thanks for the tip. Enabling TPM 2.0 on my Lenovo T480 removed the error.

Comment 7 Dimitris 2020-01-14 21:03:05 UTC
I started getting this error this morning; from `journalctl --unit fwupd.service`:

Jan 13 10:09:21 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Consumed 55.012s CPU time.
Jan 14 08:16:20 angua systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
Jan 14 08:17:50 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Jan 14 08:17:50 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Jan 14 08:17:50 angua systemd[1]: Failed to start Firmware update daemon.
Jan 14 12:11:09 angua systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
Jan 14 12:12:39 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Jan 14 12:12:40 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Jan 14 12:12:40 angua systemd[1]: Failed to start Firmware update daemon.
Jan 14 12:54:16 angua systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
Jan 14 12:55:46 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Jan 14 12:55:47 angua systemd[1]: fwupd.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Jan 14 12:55:47 angua systemd[1]: Failed to start Firmware update daemon.

Fedora 31, fwupd 1.3.6-1.fc31.

TPM2.0 seems enabled in the BIOS:

tpm_tis STM7308:00: 2.0 TPM (device-id 0x0, rev-id 78)

This is on a ThinkPad T495, BIOS 1.16.  There is a BIOS update (1.17) available: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds539877 but AFAICT not yet through LVFS/fwupd.org.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.