Created attachment 1665247 [details]
dmesg output for iwlwifi module
1. Please describe the problem:
Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260 (iwlwifi) module fails to initialize.
2. What is the Version-Release number of the kernel:
3. Did it work previously in Fedora? If so, what kernel version did the issue
*first* appear? Old kernels are available for download at
Previously worked on kernel.5.4.20-200.fc31.x86_64
Issue first appeared on kernel-5.5.5-200.fc31.x86_64
4. Can you reproduce this issue? If so, please provide the steps to reproduce
the issue below:
1) Install kernel-5.5.5-200.fc31.x86_64 on machine with network device
2) Reboot into kernel-5.5.5
3) NetworkManager will continuously restart and dmesg will output iwlwifi errors (attached below).
5. Does this problem occur with the latest Rawhide kernel? To install the
Rawhide kernel, run ``sudo dnf install fedora-repos-rawhide`` followed by
``sudo dnf update --enablerepo=rawhide kernel``:
6. Are you running any modules that not shipped with directly Fedora's kernel?:
7. Please attach the kernel logs. You can get the complete kernel log
for a boot with ``journalctl --no-hostname -k > dmesg.txt``. If the
issue occurred on a previous boot, use the journalctl ``-b`` flag.
Created attachment 1665248 [details]
dmesg for kernel 5.5.5 boot
Attached dmesg of whole system boot under kernel 5.5.5
Created attachment 1666640 [details]
dmesg for kernel 5.5.5 boot
I have the same chipset and problem (Intel 8260 rev 3a)
Attaching my dmesg FWIW
Still a problem with Kernel 5.5.7...
Could this be related?
If this was already fixed upstream in mid-February, why is it still an issue in Fedora? Or is there another problem in addition to the one described here?
(In reply to maxwellsdemon137 from comment #4)
> Could this be related?
> If this was already fixed upstream in mid-February, why is it still an issue in Fedora? ...
That's in wireless-drivers.git:
iwlwifi: mvm: Do not require PHY_SKU NVM section for 3168 devices
But it's not in kernel mainline:
Anyway, the error message in the code doesn't appear in the attached logs.
This appears to be the same bug:
Bug 1808885 - iwlwifi: FW error in SYNC CMD GEO_TX_POWER_LIMIT
And it links to this upstream bug, which has a proposed patch:
Bug_206479 - [iwlwifi, v5.5 regression, bisected] Wireless-AC 3168NGW no longer initializes
kernel-5.5.15-200.fc31 fixes what may be the same issue I reported in Bug 180885. That has landed in the Fedora 31 stable repo now, so please test it and report back if you've been experiencing this.
(In reply to Ben Cotton from comment #7)
> kernel-5.5.15-200.fc31 fixes what may be the same issue I reported in Bug
> 180885. That has landed in the Fedora 31 stable repo now, so please test it
> and report back if you've been experiencing this.
Wi-Fi works when running kernel-5.5.15-200.fc31. Confirmed fix for my model (Intel Wireless AC 8260).
I'm good now.
Tested both bands and they look OK.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1808885 ***