Description of problem:
'getent group ldapgroupname' doesn't any LDAP users or some LDAP users when 'rfc2307bis' schema is used with SSSD. It shows if group is empty without any members.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
sssd-2.2.0-19.el8.x86_64.rpm - RHEL 8
sssd-1.16.4-21.el7_7.1.x86_64.rpm - RHEL 7
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Configure SSSD with id_provider = ldap and set ldap_schema = rfc2307bis
2. Check 'id ldapusername' output.
3. Check 'getent group ldapgroupname' output.
'getent group ldapgroupname' doesn't any LDAP users or some LDAP users.
It shows if group is empty without any members.
'getent group ldapgroupname' should show ALL it's member ldapusers.
This issue is observed on RHEL 7/8 with SSSD.
This issue is not observed with RHEL 5/6 with nslcd.
The problem happens because ldap_group_nesting_level is not set and it takes the default value, which is 2, and this seems not to be enough. I'd recommend you to play with this value to obtain the whole view of group members. You can read some information about ldap_group_nesting_level in sssd-ldap man page.
* https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/commit/88631392e9172ae4fa3e411398516a2f39f0060e - intg: allow member DN to have a different case
* https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/commit/50d0d154cedb6915ab321b47c40851c40e91cf41 - ldap: use member DN to create ghost user hash table
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (sssd bug fix and enhancement update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.