Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 182158
system-config-services does not maximize
Last modified: 2014-06-18 05:08:08 EDT
Description of problem:
system-config-services does not maximize. If I click the maximize button
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
s-c-services maximises very well here (freshly updated Rawhide system). NB: When
it's busy (reading in info about the services, checking services' statuses) it
might react a bit sluggish.
It does not maximize at all for me. Even after everything is loaded it will not
resize at all. If I maximize the window, the border disappears, and the window
not move. If I unmaximize the border reappears and the window will move again.
What can I do to help get this fixed?
It would be good if you supplied a bit more details, i.e. what desktop
environment you use, screenshots that exhibit your problem, etc. anything you
can think of that might be relevant to the issue.
One additional thing: does s-c-services react when you use it while it is in
that not-quite-maximized state?
This is a fresh install of FC5T3 plus yesterdays updates (no updates for today
yet). I am using gnome. My hardware is a tyan tiger 100 (S1832) motherboard
with 256MB of RAM, Number 9 Revolition IV video card with 32MB of RAM, and a SGI
1600SW LCD monitor. The resolution I am using is 800x512. This is a 16:9 monitor.
S-C-services reacts nicely as long as it is not maximized. I have attached two
Created attachment 125026 [details]
Created attachment 125027 [details]
s-c-services not maximized
Please try whether the problem persists with a higher resolution, e.g. 1024x768.
What GTK theme do you use?
I use the default theme (bluecurve or whatever is the default for FC5T3). I
tried s-c-services at 1600x1024 and it works like it should. The problem is
1600x1024 is too small to get any work done, unless there is a way to change the
default font size the icons on the desktop and msin menu.
The problem you see is likely to be caused by the window manager (metacity),
I've reproduced it with a number of apps (s-c-services, s-c-date, gimp) if they
are higher than what is available on screen and can't be resized to fit -- if
you click on maximize it doesn't (probably because it can't fit the window
contents on the available screen estate) but still removes the window borders
(as if it had maximized the window).
NB: You can increase your font size by going to System->Preferences->Fonts,
adjust the "Application font" and "Desktop font". Though you might not want to
exactly double their sizes, as your windows mightn't fit on your screen again ;-).
Should be fixed in RAWHIDE.
still have the problem of s-c-services not maximizing. reopening.
Jason, have youu tested this on FC devel or FC5?
I am using rawhide.
Jason, are you still seeing this?
I haven't used rawhide since the beginning of December 2006. I will see if I
can get rawhide installed this weekend and get back to you.
Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6 are, as we're sure you've noticed, no longer
test releases. We're cleaning up the bug database and making sure important bug
reports filed against these test releases don't get lost. It would be helpful if
you could test this issue with a released version of Fedora or with the latest
development / test release. Thanks for your help and for your patience.
[This is a bulk message for all open FC5/FC6 test release bugs. I'm adding
myself to the CC list for each bug, so I'll see any comments you make after this
and do my best to make sure every issue gets proper attention.]
I tried the FC7T3 Live CD and the problem is still there. I don't see an option
for FC7 test3 in the version dropdown listbox.
As of this release, bugs against test versions should be filed against "devel".
This decreases the chances of them getting forgotten about when the real release
(or just the next test release) happens.
I can't reproduce this in current rawhide, all system-config utilities I tried
maximize just fine with metacity.
Based on the date this bug was created, it appears to have been reported
against rawhide during the development of a Fedora release that is no
longer maintained. In order to refocus our efforts as a project we are
flagging all of the open bugs for releases which are no longer
maintained. If this bug remains in NEEDINFO thirty (30) days from now,
we will automatically close it.
If you can reproduce this bug in a maintained Fedora version (7, 8, or
rawhide), please change this bug to the respective version and change
the status to ASSIGNED. (If you're unable to change the bug's version
or status, add a comment to the bug and someone will change it for you.)
Thanks for your help, and we apologize again that we haven't handled
these issues to this point.
The process we're following is outlined here:
We will be following the process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping to ensure this
doesn't happen again.
This bug has been in NEEDINFO for more than 30 days since feedback was
first requested. As a result we are closing it.
If you can reproduce this bug in the future against a maintained Fedora
version please feel free to reopen it against that version.
The process we're following is outlined here: