Bug 18367 - Display Power Management (DPMS) Inop
Display Power Management (DPMS) Inop
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: XFree86 (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Mike A. Harris
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2000-10-04 20:04 EDT by phostetl
Modified: 2008-05-01 11:37 EDT (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2001-03-26 16:50:27 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description phostetl 2000-10-04 20:04:13 EDT
Screensaver kicks in but monitor never switches into power save mode with
power management selected (gnome / sawfish).  This worked OK when the box
was a RH 6.2 system.  I did a full (not upgrade) install of 7.

$ rpm -qa | grep -i xfree

P.S. Why not add power management to xdm?  I hate to leave my system logged
in just for DPMS.
Comment 1 Dax Kelson 2000-10-10 14:25:55 EDT
The Xconfigurator and Anaconda don't generate proper/good XF86Config files.  In
order to enable Display Power Management (DPMS), add the line:

Option      "DPMS"

To the "Monitor" section in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  DPMS will then be
active (even at the display manger login).

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in a future Xconfigurator/Anaconda.
Comment 2 mtippett 2000-10-10 17:02:49 EDT
Not quite.

Although the DPMS settings are in the XF86Config, the system display never
issues DPMS commands to the monitor.  

Even 'xset dpms force off' doesn't do anything.
Comment 3 David Maurer 2000-10-12 20:55:56 EDT
I have experienced this as well on two different 7.0 systems.  One with a
Voodoo3 card, another with an ATI Rage Pro.  While running X v3.3.6, kdpms and
the xset command will both correctly work.  When I switch to X v4.0.1a, neither
machine will issue dpms commands to the monitor.
Comment 4 Emilio Panighetti 2000-10-23 02:19:32 EDT
I have the same problem. My machine has a Nokia 445Xpro monitor and a Diamond
Viper330 (nVidia RIVA128 chipset). It used to work before. I did not try adding
DPMS to the monitor parameters.
Comment 5 Mike Palczewski 2000-12-28 15:05:58 EST
I have the same problem with an AGP G400 and a Q91 Optiquest monitor. I have
made the change to my XFree86 file and it still didn't work. So I tried updating
to XFree86 4.0.2 from their website and it still doesn't work(but anti-aliased
xterm looks pretty cool). It seems like it's either some other option or just a
problem with XFree86 4.0.x .
Comment 6 Mike Palczewski 2000-12-28 21:16:23 EST
Actually I discovered this on the XFree86 mailing list. I guess I should have
RTFM. I added the option "DPMS" line to the wrong config file. Everything works
properly. Now its just a matter of man xset. Sorry for the false alarm.
Again this is with a Matrox G400 and a Q91 monitor.
Comment 7 Mike A. Harris 2001-03-23 00:47:19 EST
Yes, XFree86 4 uses XF86Config-4 for it's config file.
Comment 8 phostetl 2001-03-26 16:50:23 EST
This is still a valid bug.  It exists in Wolveriene too.  You haven't indicated
any corrective action was taken, so it needs to stay open.
Comment 9 Mike A. Harris 2001-05-10 22:54:44 EDT
The corrective action is to edit the config file and enable the DPMS option.
This may be an inconvenience perhaps, that the config tool does not enable
DPMS by default, but it is not a bug.  The support for the option is there,
and it works == not a bug.

By enabling DPMS by default, the installer would end up causing problems
where DPMS does not work properly on some cards/configurations.  A working
setup by default is better than one that does not work at all, and so the
default is the way it is.  This will likely change in future releases as
XFree86 4.x becomes more mature, and also as our configuration tool gets
Comment 10 Brad Garcia 2001-07-25 05:56:09 EDT
I think this bug needs to be re-opened.

I added the 'Option "DPMS"' line to the Monitor
section of my XF86Config file, but it didn't
help things.

Using the Gnome Control Center, I then turned on
power managment.  After saving the changes, I
did an 'xset q', and dpms was still disabled.

Everything was working fine until I upgraded from
RH62 to RH70.  I'm currently running RH71.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.