Description of problem:
fossil-doc rpm is useless.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. dnf install fossil-doc
/usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/www is full of *.md and *.wiki files. These files are useful when they are committed into a fossil repository: 'fossil ui' starts web server which shows these pages to the user.
*.md and *.wiki files in /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/www are almost useless: they are plain text files, but they are not easily readable with text editor or text pager (e. g. 'less') because they include wiki markup as well as html tags. At the same time they are not readable with a web browser since they are not html files.
I would expect /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc contains either readable (with no much html and/or wiki markup) plain text files or html files.
I guess there is no simple way to convert *.md and *.wiki files to *.html files, so I would suggest dropping fossil-doc package entirely.
This package has changed maintainer in the Fedora.
Reassigning to the new maintainer of this component.
Actually there are two solutions for this:
1. use newly built fossil to create a new fossil repo and add `www` folders to fossil. This is easier and can be implemented in RPM
2. current fossil supports `wiki export -html` command, which generates HTML pages. But this method can only support wiki/technote objects. Project Documentation/embedded doc  is not supported. But I can implement that in fossil and try to commit to upstream (take longer).
Sheng has kindly provided a fix that has been pushed to Rawhide. Could you take a look if this is sufficient for you?
I took a look at fossil-doc-2.12.1-2.fc34.x86_64.rpm.
1. fossil-doc package does not require fossil package, while fossil executable is required to view the documentation. I think "Requires: fossil" or "Recommends: fossil" should be added to fossil-doc.
2. It is assumed that user should execute "fossil ui /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/fossil-doc.fossil" in order to view the documentation. It is written in the package description, but who reads the package description when the package is already installed? I guess method to view fossil documentation is not obvious for fossil newbies. Consider adding a helper script /usr/bin/fossil-doc like this one
exec /usr/bin/fossil ui "$@" /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/fossil-doc.fossil
or adding a kind of README
Documentation in repository format for fossil. Users can run `fossil ui`
in /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc folder to view documents in browser.
to /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc directory.
3. Search does not work for me. Run
$ fossil ui --page doc/trunk/www/permutedindex.html /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/fossil-doc.fossil
then enter something in the input field and press "Search Docs" button. I see "Search is disabled" warning in red color after that.
4. Is fossil checkout really required? I tried to remove .fslckout file and www directory from /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc, and /usr/bin/fossil ui /usr/share/doc/fossil-doc/fossil-doc.fossil still works.
Hi Van de Bugger, thank you for the comments! To conclude your suggestion:
- add dependencies for fossil-doc
- turn on searching/indexing
- create a script to run fossil, then no checked-out files are needed.
I agree with all three of them and will prepare a pull-request for defolos to review.
Hi Van de Bugger,
Please check this pull-request for the updates: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fossil/pull-request/3 and pre-built COPR packages can be found at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ivzhh/fossil/build/1839472/
I checked fossil-doc-2.13-2.fc33.x86_64.rpm found at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ivzhh/fossil/build/1839472/. It looks good.
Thank you Van de Bugger! I will contact Dan for final review.
FEDORA-2021-77648a0793 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 32. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-77648a0793
FEDORA-2021-77648a0793 has been pushed to the Fedora 32 testing repository.
Soon you'll be able to install the update with the following command:
`sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing --advisory=FEDORA-2021-77648a0793`
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-77648a0793
See also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for more information on how to test updates.
FEDORA-2021-77648a0793 has been pushed to the Fedora 32 stable repository.
If problem still persists, please make note of it in this bug report.