Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 186755
FC5 installed but can't boot on Toshiba P35-S611
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:28 EST
Description of problem:
FC5, the one that is just released
Installed twice and the result is the same.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install from CDs, add reiserfstools. Everything seems to go fine. Reboot.
2. On the laptop, there is a reiser file system installed with Ubuntu. Boot
fails somewhere doing FSCK.
3. Insert 1st CD, "Linux Rescue", hmm ... I don't use LVM, and fstab has a
Label=/. Change that to /dev/hda2. Edit grub.conf and take out quiet and rhgb.
4. System boots, but X appears to fail.
5. But wait, gdm starts fine.
6. Can login, but only as root. I don't want to do that!
7. Repeat step 1. Same result. Why is it that on FC5test1 I have less problems?
8. Send in this report.
System did not go into first boot.
System goes into first boot without problems and allow me to set up user account
that works with my Kerberos server and LDAP server.
dmesg of ubuntu is below.
Created attachment 126759 [details]
dmesg output from Ubuntu.
Please attach /tmp/firstboot-crash.log from your installed Fedora system to this
Created attachment 126871 [details]
Created attachment 126872 [details]
Created attachment 126873 [details]
Looks like an X server problem based on the attached X log.
Unfortunately that log is not even close to sufficient. Can you attach the X
log from /tmp/ramfs ?
Sorry, I have lost the installation. It is so long ago. Perhaps this can be
closed. FC6 seems to have resovled it completely, though there is still a
libnss-ldap bug. See my other post.
Insufficient data to continue to investigate. Oh well. Thanks for the report!