Bug 1883326 - [RHOSP 17][Backport] Fix for PowerFlex/vxflex volume type conversion [NEEDINFO]
Summary: [RHOSP 17][Backport] Fix for PowerFlex/vxflex volume type conversion
Keywords:
Status: MODIFIED
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat OpenStack
Classification: Red Hat
Component: openstack-cinder
Version: 16.1 (Train)
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
medium
medium
Target Milestone: beta
: 17.0
Assignee: Pablo Caruana
QA Contact: Tzach Shefi
RHOS Documentation Team
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 1824852 1861408 1956366
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2020-09-28 18:41 UTC by Rajini Karthik
Modified: 2021-07-01 17:42 UTC (History)
17 users (show)

Fixed In Version: openstack-cinder-18.0.1-0.20210618041811.624f63f.el8ost
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
PowerFlex volume type conversion issue. This patch solves a bug with PowerFlex storage-assisted volume migration when volume migration was performed without conversion of volume type in cases where it should have been converted to/from thin/thick provisioned.
Clone Of:
: 1956366 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed:
Target Upstream Version:
arkady_kanevsky: needinfo? (sam.wan)


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Private Priority Status Summary Last Updated
OpenStack gerrit 790562 0 None MERGED Fix PowerFlex volume type conversion 2021-05-24 19:42:51 UTC

Description Rajini Karthik 2020-09-28 18:41:57 UTC
Description of problem:
Description of problem:
[RHOSP 16.1][Backport] Fix for PowerFlex/vxflex volume type conversion

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.

Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:

Comment 1 Luigi Toscano 2020-09-29 08:52:02 UTC
Do you plan to backport the fix upstream to all relevant stable branches? Apart from the rename, the code of the fix seems to apply on the older version of the driver too.

Comment 2 Rajini Karthik 2020-10-02 12:13:32 UTC
Yes, as soon once this merges in master, will push the backports to stable branches

Comment 3 arkady kanevsky 2020-11-03 19:27:51 UTC
Vlad,
can your team take upstream backport?

Greg,
my understanding is that even if upstream community may not accept it, as new functionality, that is what RH will use for backport to 16.1.

Comment 4 Gregory Charot 2020-11-04 09:52:14 UTC
Yes if you can manage the backport patch we can include it downstream (z4).

Is this new functionality already in 16.1 and we only need a fix or do we also need to backport the feature itself?

Comment 6 Ivan Pchelintsev 2020-11-06 08:18:04 UTC
(In reply to Gregory Charot from comment #4)
> Yes if you can manage the backport patch we can include it downstream (z4).
> 
> Is this new functionality already in 16.1 and we only need a fix or do we
> also need to backport the feature itself?

This features should already be in 16.1.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1808570

Comment 7 Vladislav Belogrudov 2020-11-09 08:02:14 UTC
(In reply to Luigi Toscano from comment #1)
> Do you plan to backport the fix upstream to all relevant stable branches?
> Apart from the rename, the code of the fix seems to apply on the older
> version of the driver too.

yes, as soon as the main review is ready we will open backport reviews

Comment 8 Pablo Caruana 2021-04-08 14:56:25 UTC
This still active work on upstream Master branch.

Comment 9 arkady kanevsky 2021-04-12 13:22:59 UTC
Why was that moved to z7?
We are waiting for this fix to do re-cert powerflex with fix in z4 and this patch.
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/723826 has already backported to Train already.

Are you talking on adding https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785 also?

Comment 10 Luigi Toscano 2021-04-12 13:54:59 UTC
(In reply to arkady kanevsky from comment #9)
> Why was that moved to z7?
> We are waiting for this fix to do re-cert powerflex with fix in z4 and this
> patch.
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/723826 has already
> backported to Train already.
> 
> Are you talking on adding
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785 also?


This bug is about  https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785/, which is not merged even in master yet.

Comment 11 arkady kanevsky 2021-04-12 16:06:49 UTC
Originally this BZ was about https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/723826 not about  https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785/.

Let, Sam Wan to comment if we need both for re-cert.

Comment 12 Luigi Toscano 2021-04-12 16:13:29 UTC
(In reply to arkady kanevsky from comment #11)
> Originally this BZ was about
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/723826 not about 
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785/.
> 
> Let, Sam Wan to comment if we need both for re-cert.

Can you please recheck? The only review ever mentioned here has been 754785 from the beginning and 723826 is not mentioned anywhere.

Moreover, the subject of 754785 is "Fix PowerFlex volume type conversion", which matches the current title of this bug ("Fix for PowerFlex/vxflex volume type conversion").

Comment 13 arkady kanevsky 2021-04-12 16:21:18 UTC
You are correct it is https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785 only.
Have been waiting for approval since March 16.
We should of landed it in Wallaby. It is a simple fix.

Comment 14 arkady kanevsky 2021-05-10 18:38:53 UTC
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785 finally landed upstream.
Dell will backport it all the way to Train if upstream community will allow it.
Hope we can land it in z6.

Comment 15 Pablo Caruana 2021-05-13 15:46:05 UTC
(In reply to arkady kanevsky from comment #14)
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/754785 finally landed
> upstream.
> Dell will backport it all the way to Train if upstream community will allow
> it.
> Hope we can land it in z6.

Arkady, it's marked for z7 as the time for z6 was around April 7th, and the stable/victoria and stable/train still in active work. This is the reason for being targeted for z7 on 2021-04-12.
Regards,

Comment 16 arkady kanevsky 2021-05-17 14:10:45 UTC
Suggest we target this functionality to RHOSP-17 since volume retype is used for volume migration that is targeted for 17.0
Thus I suggest we target this BZ to 17 and close https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=195636.

Comment 17 Ken Holtz 2021-05-17 16:37:20 UTC
(In reply to arkady kanevsky from comment #16)
> Suggest we target this functionality to RHOSP-17 since volume retype is used
> for volume migration that is targeted for 17.0
> Thus I suggest we target this BZ to 17 and close
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=195636.

Arkady meant to say https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1956366 (the cloned BZ for 16.2). Pablo, do you agree with this and should we retarget this one in particular for OSP17?

Comment 18 Pablo Caruana 2021-05-24 17:48:02 UTC
(In reply to Ken Holtz from comment #17)
> (In reply to arkady kanevsky from comment #16)
> > Suggest we target this functionality to RHOSP-17 since volume retype is used
> > for volume migration that is targeted for 17.0
> > Thus I suggest we target this BZ to 17 and close
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=195636.
> 
> Arkady meant to say https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1956366 (the
> cloned BZ for 16.2). Pablo, do you agree with this and should we retarget
> this one in particular for OSP17?

Yes, I full agree with moving this one to RHOSP 17.

Comment 20 Ken Holtz 2021-05-24 18:22:15 UTC
Moving this to OSP 17 target as discussed. Please help clean up anything i did not set properly. The other BZ tracking OSP 16.2 target has been closed.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.