Description of problem:
gamin/server/inotify-kernel.h and gamin/server/inotify-kernel.c clearly state that the code is GPLv2, however rpm packaging states that the library is LGPLv2
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Read the file
2. View the licensing information
3. Check package licensing information
Copyright (C) 2006 John McCutchan <email@example.com>
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; version 2.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License version 2 for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
* Copyrights et cetera
* This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
* modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
* License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
* version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
* This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
* Lesser General Public License for more details.
* You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
* License along with this library; if not, write to the Free
* Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
The COPYING file says that gamin is LGPL: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gamin/-/blob/master/COPYING. These codes were imported from gnome-vfs: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gamin/-/commit/212f3b4ea110d5e788dad57c59f8d91e3e75a22d, where they were initially licensed as GPL for some reason. However, they were relicensed to LGPL just one month later after this import: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gnome-vfs/-/commit/492955753e62071295adce824a2f0cf92d6f831e. So I suppose that this is just a bug and the codes should be relicensed in gamin as well. This is seemingly a known issue as per the comment in the Fedora spec file: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gamin/c/66ab86d34aa95b53f10179c0c92f7631b095b0c2. However, the problem is that gamin is dead upstream, thus the codes can't be changed there. So I am not sure what is the right solution at this point. I don't want to change the Licence field in the spec file as it is clearly a bug in source codes, however, fixing the source codes downstream also doesn't sound like a good idea to me...
Let's add a comment into the spec file with facts from comment 1. I am going to prepare that change for Fedora first.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (Moderate: GNOME security, bug fix, and enhancement update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.