When trying to use VLAN interfaces, the VLAN interface does not seem to be
brought up correctly:
No traffic is sent through that interface, even when explicitely sent there. The
VLAN interface statistic (in /proc) says that no packages where transmitted.
As soon as the network is restarted, things work fine. However, simply deleting
and adding the IP is not good enough.
Latest RHEL 4, all updates applied
2 onboard Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
is is for the "normal" traffic, 1 for the VLANs
# this is the "default" interface
# does not seem to have anything to do with the problem, JIC
After configuring this and restarting the system, I try to ping my router:
$ ping -I eth1.261 10.0.3.254
PING 10.0.3.254 (10.0.3.254) from 10.0.3.251 eth1.261: 56(84) bytes of data.
From 10.0.3.251 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 10.0.3.251 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
ifconfig and ip addr show output looks ok, eg.:
eth1.261 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:35:9F:18:18
inet addr:10.0.3.251 Bcast:10.0.3.255 Mask:255.255.255.192
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:229 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:70640 (68.9 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
However, /proc says that no packages where transmitted:
# cat /proc/net/vlan/eth1.261
eth1.261 VID: 261 REORDER_HDR: 1 dev->priv_flags: 1
total frames received 578
total bytes received 27766
Broadcast/Multicast Rcvd 0
total frames transmitted 0
total bytes transmitted 0
total headroom inc 0
total encap on xmit 0
INGRESS priority mappings: 0:0 1:0 2:0 3:0 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0
EGRESSS priority Mappings:
When I run tcpdump on the VLAN interface, I can see (broadcast) packages - so
the /proc output seems ok.
arp for that interface does not seem to work either:
# arp -a
? (10.0.3.254) at <incomplete> on eth1.261
When I now do a
/sbin/service network restart
Everything works fine:
- I can ping the gateway
- arp looks ok
- /proc/net/vlan/eth1.261 shows outgoing traffic
- my apps work fine on the interface
I tried to reproduce this a bit better:
- When I delete and add the IP address on the VLAN interface manually,
the problem stays the same.
(ip addr del ... ; ip addr add ...)
- When I delete the IP, take down the VLAN and re-add it, things work fine)
(ip addr del ... ; vconfig rem ... ; vconfig add ... ; ip addr add ... )
- If I do not configure any VLAN interfaces at startup, but configure everything
manually, the problem is stil the same.
( modprobe 8021q ; ifconfig eth1 up ; vconfig add ... ; ip addr add ... )
- Once this works for one VLAN interface, I can add other VLAN interfaces, and
they work just fine.
- If I use eth1 as a "normal" interface, it works just fine.
I just tried adding
/sbin/service network restart
However, even when I restart the system, the interface does not work properly.
If I login and run
everything works fine.
hmm...i think this is fixed in the latest beta kernel builds if you want to try
the kernel at: http://people.redhat.com/~jbaron/rhel4/
NEEDINFO_ENG has been deprecated in favor of ASSIGNED or NEEDINFO. Changing
status to ASSIGNED for ENG review.
Yes, the test kernel works fine, thanks.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 188087 ***