Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 190075
wpa_supplicant + WEP + madwifi + NetworkManager
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:31 EST
Description of problem:
NetworkManager with WEP and madwifi does not work beacause of a bug of
wpa_supplicant. This has been recently fixed in wpa_supplicant 0.4.9. See
Could you please upgrade to the new version? Thanks
I ran into the same problem. Apparently Dan fixed it in Rawhide today :
* Thu Apr 27 2006 Dan Williams <email@example.com> - 0.4.8-10
- Add fix for madwifi and WEP (wpa_supplicant/hostap bud #140) (#rh190075#)
- Fix up madwifi-ng private ioctl()s for r1331 and later
- Update madwifi headers to r1475
Indeed it was fixed. I got the rawhide source and compile it on my (pretty
standard) fc5 installation: now Madwify svn revision 1531 with WEP and
NetworkManager work like a charme (it just took me some time to understand that
I had to start /etc/init.d/dhcdbd)
My opinion is that you could push it to fc5-update-testing.
does it really needs dhcdbd ? I don't have it but it works OK... the only
thing I did was to start wpa_supplicant *before* network..
Well, I do not know really. I just noticed that after having updated
wpa_supplicant connection failed, but with a different message, that is
Apr 29 02:03:58 mirto NetworkManager: <WARNING> nm_dhcp_manager_get_state_for_d
evice (): dhcdbd not running!
Apr 29 02:04:11 mirto NetworkManager: <WARNING> nm_dhcp_manager_begin_transacti
on (): dhcdbd not running!
So I started dhcdbd and then it started to work. Is it me who have a weird
FWIW (and i've only tested with one accessoint so far) - Using madwifi svn
version 1552 (today), wpa_supplicant-0.4.8-10.fc5 and NetworkManager-0.6.2-2.fc5
things appear to be working nicely.
I've tried unencrypted, WEP- and WPA encrypted against a 3Com 3CRWE454G72
accesspoint. Everything worked like a charm!