Description of problem:
New CUPS fails to print to a known good IPP printer in most circumstances
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. send a job to printer from any app except: a) test page from
system-config-printer, or b) a2ps. I.E. Try to print from acroread, firefox,
thunderbird, man -t | lpr, ..., etc.
Nothing gets printed, cups reports:
(/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp) stopped with status 1
and stops queue
something prints & cups leaves queue turned on
After yum upgrade this morning printing stopped working.
I am printing using IPP to a Xerox Phaser 8400DP. The failure happens using the
PPD file from Xerox's support site, imported into cups. I have been using this
PPD and identical configuration of CUPS for over two years, since FC3 and its
old version of cups. It also occurs using the CUPS generic PostScript driver,
which has also worked in the past.
Based on past experience, I removed the printer from my CUPS configuration and
restarted the cups service, then, using system-config-printer, imported the
Xerox supplied PPD file, and finally added the printer. I have also edited the
CUPS config to use generic Postscript driver with the same results.
To eliminate as much variation as possible, I've used the results from
man -t cupsd.conf | lpr
as my failure test case. Directing the output of man -t to a file and then
netcat-ing it directly to port 9100 of the printer does print, but this doesn't
allow me access to any of the features of the printer.
I have turned on debugging in /etc/cupsd.conf and captured both the CUPS logs
and network traffic (using ethereal) corresponding to a) successful printing
using the command "a2ps .sig.pub" and b) the typical, unsuccessful printing
using "man -t cupsd.conf | lpr". I will attach an excerpt from the (not very
revealing) /var/log/cups/error_log, and subsequently the mush more revealing
Created attachment 129256 [details]
excerpt from /var/log/cups/error_log, with LogLevel set to debug
Created attachment 129257 [details]
ethereal packet capture of successful printing from a2ps
Created attachment 129258 [details]
ethereal packet capture of unsuccessful printing from man -t
Please turn on 'debug2' logging, as follows. Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and
change the 'LogLevel' line to read:
Then stop cups:
/sbin/service cups stop
Clear out the error_log:
Then start cups again:
/sbin/service cups start
Try your print job, and when it fails attach the /var/log/cups/error_log file
Created attachment 129327 [details]
debug2 log of failed job
Created attachment 129331 [details]
debug2 log of successful job
Methodology: check that queue is up, stop cups, clear error log, start cups,
send job, stop cups, send log.
man -t cupsd.conf | lpr fails
a2ps .sig succeeds.
One more data point - printing from OpenOffice.org also fails; still haven't
found any further apps that succcessfully print.
When rebuilt with the additional patch
http://cups.org/strfiles/1704/str1704.patch from upstream,
cups-1.2.0-1.3.src.rpm from updates-testing no longer exhibits the failures.
I'd suggest rolling the upstream patch str1704.patch into a new cups when it
moves from updates-testing to updates.
cups-1.2.0-1.4 (shortly to appear in updates-testing) contains this fix. Thanks
for helping out.
I'm unable to print from RHEL3 to FC5 printer shared by IPP so not only sending
but receiving too has been broken in IPP subsystem. Updating to cups-1.2.0-1.4
solves the problem.
I'm voting to move this update from testing to regular updates.
Milan: thanks for confirming the fix. There are a couple more fixes I'd like to
get in first.
I have the same problem after update. lpstat -p gives
printer epson disabled since Mon 22 May 2006 07:30:41 AM EDT -
Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": Permission denied
Erik: your problem is different; it uses the usb backend, not the ipp backend.
Please file a separate bug report.
Fixed in 1.2.1-1.2.